Chapter IX (Annabeth)

The daughter of Athena chuckled as she watched Percy chuck his bandit into the cell, sighing in relief and rolling his shoulders. 

"Never again," he breathed, "never in a million years."

Hazel and she had been given the easier load, and since they were both putting effort into it, the bandit was nearly as light as a feather. It was a good thing too when they were forced to carry the unconscious criminals around the back alleys of the city and then through the forest path. And not to mention the flight of stairs they had to descend to reach the prison doors. Percy had nearly slipped while going down the stairs, but righted himself at the last moment and started cursing beneath his breath. The close proximity of the walls increased his volume though, and Annabeth had to remind him that Hazel was present. The poor girl looked aghast. 

The General and the new girl swung their load on top of Percy's. Their bandit murmured something, but other than that they were still unaware of what was happening. They'd get a nice surprise when they woke up.

"Now for you to see Will," said Percy as he walked over to Annabeth, grabbing her arm softly and looking at her wound with a frown. She slipped her arm away from his grasp and huffed. 

"I am fine."

The cut hadn't bothered her as much as it probably should have. It stung, but it wasn't fatal. She'd be able to handle it until she got back to her own quarters and patched it up herself. 

"No, we are going to the infirmary," he protested. Something told Annabeth she wouldn't win this argument with the way his shoulders were set and the stubborn look in his eyes. He even appeared that little bit concerned. It warmed her to know he cared, but she'd rather not bother the son of Apollo with an injury so small.

"Percy, if I say I am fine I mean it," she insisted. 

"Too bad, it will make me feel better if you went," he said.

"But I need to question Hazel." 

"You can do that while Will takes a look at you," here he turned to Hazel who had been watching the debate quietly, "you would not mind, would you?"

A small smile tugged at the corners of her mouth. "Of course not." 

Annabeth shot her a look before Percy continued. "Great, off to see the medic then."

It didn't take long for the three of them to reach the infirmary. And it took even less time for Will to locate her wound and scold her for retrieving it. He fussed over her like a mother, cleaning it and tsking all the while. When he finally department muttering profanities all the while, her arm had been cleaned and bandaged. 

"So, Hazel," Annabeth said as she sat on the small, somewhat comfy, infirmary bed, "what can you tell me about yourself?"

Hazel sat on the bed opposite the General with her legs swinging over the edge, looking as innocent as her young self should appear. But if her earlier success at knocking out a bandit was anything to judge by, Annabeth was not to be fooled. 

"What do you want to know?" She asked.

Percy stood with his arms folded, leaning his back against the bench on the opposite wall. When he spoke his voice was loud and cheerful, turning the interrogation into a more casual conversation. 

"You know, the basics. How old are you? Where are you from? Poseidon or Athena-."

"Percy!" 

"Simple things."

Hazel giggled. "Simple things? Alright then. Well, you know my name, I am 13 years old, I am from Rome-."

"What is a Roman doing in these parts?" Percy questioned, "it is a dangerous place to be at the moment."