Chapter VI (Annabeth)

"Is it not the best looking ship around?" Percy beamed. He stood with his hands on his hips and his chest puffed out proudly like a little boy showing off his best toy. Annabeth didn't have the heart to question him.

The son of Poseidon had led her on quite the chase, ducking and weaving around merchants through the docks and nearly tripping into the salt water below. They only slowed down when they passed beneath an overhanging palm tree away from the townsfolk. The shade concealed them from the sun as the both of them gazed at the Galley docked a couple of paces in front of them, bobbing ever so slightly with the movement of the water. 

The ship sported two masts with creamy lateen sails. It was long and lean with a slender hull, the railing only a small distance away from the sea. Judging by its moderate size she guessed it could hold 30 to 40 people, but no more than that. The front half of a rearing stallion caught her eye at the prow of the ship, as black as the night sky. The colours were dull and dark, ranging from a very dark brown to grey to black (the latter colour being the most prominent). Silver writing adorned the hull, and with her incapability to read very well, it took some time to uncover what it said.

"Blackjack?" Annabeth questioned.

"Long story," Percy shrugged off, "what do you think?"

"It is a Galley?" She asked to just to make sure she was right. He nodded his head. "Then where are the oars? Where are the oarsmen?"

He only laughed, "When your father is the god of the sea you can safely say you do not need the extra hands to move in the water. I had it specially designed. The keel, stern and bow have been supported to withstand extra pressure when I need to push it along, and the wood wont crack or splinter easily when large waves crash into the vessel."

"That is a lot of work for a boat. Who would have bothered volunteering to make it?" She wondered.

"A friend of mine," and he didn't explain further than that. Annabeth was curious to know the history behind such a ship but held her tongue long enough for her questions to die away. The ship served its purpose, but she wouldn't count their chances very high if they were attacked, even if Percy had complete control over the water.

"Well, I think a tour is in need," she said stepping forward into the sun, adjusting her cloak.

"Wait!" He said running in front of her. Wild strands of his hair waved to the side in the breeze and the sunlight made his green eyes brighter.  His hand was out in front as if to ward her away, stopping her from walking. Annabeth raised an eyebrow and waited for an explanation.

"My crew may still be on board," he said hurriedly.

"That does not matter," she said stepping around him. They walked side by side in silence, Percy seeming slightly anxious. She didn't see what could be causing his mood, cause when they boarded his ship it was empty. Nobody roamed the quarter deck or stood atop the main deck. No sounds could be heard discerned from below deck and the whole Galley felt calm. No pirates were bustling about or causing a ruckus.

"I do not see your concern," Annabeth said walking in a slow circle, expecting the ropes and workmanship. She heard him mumble something, but did not hear the exact words.

"They are here," Percy said, "whatever you may think, do not attack...okay?"

She only chuckled back at him. "Please, go ahead. Show me these notorious crew members of yours."

He walked hesitantly towards the middle of the quarterdeck and lifted up the cargo access hatch. He took in a deep breath.

"Tyson, you there buddy?" He yelled down, "It's me, Percy."