Chapter XIII (Annabeth)

"Lovely weather this evening," he said, breaking the silence. The rain came down harder. 

"You-what...," for a split second she was speechless.

Percy chuckled. "Nice to see you too."

"Annabeth," Chiron said while moving towards the kitchen area, "It would be kind to let him in, would it not?"

She huffed and stepped to the side, allowing him to nod his head in thanks and shoulder past. Her eyes never left him though, and her thoughts ranged from curiosity to annoyance. 

"What are you doing here?" she said after closing the door and joining Percy by the fireplace. The General already had come to the right conclusion, but she wanted a better answer.

"To see you safely home of course," he said, and put in an afterthought, "not that you need it." 

"Exactly, why would I need you?"

The words came out harsher than intended, but she didn't try to take them back. He didn't seem to register it anyway as Chiron came back in loaded with a medicine bag. 

"This should help you during your voyage," the old Centaur said.

Annabeth thanked him and took the supplies, already knowing that the shield-sized bag was filled to the brim with ambrosia and vials of nectar. She slung it over her shoulders when she realised it would become more of a challenge if she tied it to her belt. 

"We will be going then," Percy said.

She dawdled by fumbling with her cape and readjusting her belt, making Percy have to wait by the door. Chiron said his farewells and left the room, leaving them as the only occupants. When she finally did reach him, she pushed the door closed when he went to open it and leaned against it, crossing her arms and staring at him. 

"What?" Percy asked while taking a step back uncomfortably.

"Why come all this way to get me?" 

"It is raining like Zeus is having a tantrum and I am most likely the only person that can keep you dry."

"Poor answer." 

He sighed and gently pulled her away from the door. She didn't protest but she didn't drop the subject either.

"I heard you have been here before," Annabeth said as he took a step into the rain. Once again she witnessed him touch a water source without getting wet. The wind had died down a fraction, but it was still strong enough to whip his hair and clothes around. 

"I should have known Chiron would've told you," he said and held out his arm for her to take, "come on, grab hold."

At first she was sceptical but followed the order. When she took a step out of the house she expected the pressure of icy raindrops pattering away on her head, but all she received was the cold gust every time the wind blew. However, Annabeth wasn't surprised. She expected Percy to be capable of such things. 

"What have you got to hide, Jackson?" she insisted.

The last thing she wanted to hear from him at the moment was his laugh, but that's exactly the reply she got. 

"I have nothing to hide, Chase," he said, mimicking her, "now shush, I have to concentrate."

Annabeth wanted questions, but she also wanted to stay dry. The latter sounded more appealing, so she kept her mouth shut and let the son of Poseidon carry on. The rest of the journey back to the castle was rather quiet when neither of them said anything more than a sentence. But her mind wouldn't stay docile. Thoughts and questions whirled around and threatened to come out. Yet she controlled them enough, promising herself that they would be answered later on. If he wasn't up with speaking to her, then she'll pick the right moment to bring the subject up. Tomorrow morning was a big event and was sure to place Percy in an overly cheerful mood. Maybe then would be the right time. That or speak with Grover. The satyr had been around him for so long the he was bound to know something. 

Either way, the daughter of Athena kept to herself, even as the two of them parted ways at the castle gates. One heading to his quarters and the other towards her office in the barracks.

-

-

-

-

Very short and very poor chapter. The next chappy is definitely when they set sail, so the action finally begins! 
This was just a filler...and is actually unnecessary...oh well, that's why there are editing stages.