(14) Guilty Parents

Previous chapter

My mother sat down at the table, suddenly nervous and serious, like the atmosphere had just been replaced. "Don't lie to me, Peyton." my mother said. "I need to know. How long have you been dating your maths teacher?"

And then my father walked in.

**

Peyton's POV

"What?!" My father boomed, coming into the kitchen and glaring at me. "But she's a girl!"

"Pretty sure that's not the issue mum was refering to, dad." I said, sighing at is homophobia. I'm totally freaking out, like seriously dying inside, but outside? Outside I was cooler than a cucumber.

"Now, honey, I don't think we should get so worked up about this I mean it's-"

"Worked up?" my father said, "No," he slammed his fist on the table and I jolted away from him. "No! I am not worked up. Worked up is when Manchester United loses a football match, not when you find out your little daughter is fucking a female teacher!" My mother sighed, but said nothing to defend me. "I knew that teacher was nothing but a greedy, self-righteous, perverted little whore!" With each word his voice rose, his cheeks became red and inflamed. His anger, which seemed to be the only part left of him, blared out of control, scorching all who heard him.

I was afraid. I was afraid but still I stood up and ignored all of my senses, my conscience, and my chair flew backwards as I stood my ground and glared at him. "Don't talk about Aubree that way!" I yelled, suddenly angry as I pointed a shaky finger at him. "You were talking about how great she was not five minutes ago!" I looked to my mother who was shaking her head. She ran a hand through her hair and stood up, joining my father and I. "She is amazing! Aubree has been there more for me these past few months than you have my entire life!"

I saw my father hesitate, his eyes back down for only a second of hurt before he was back to his rude, homophobic self. "How dare you!" He said, pushing my finger away. "She is a teacher, it is illegal and very disgusting."

 "Oh, don't pretend, dad!" I exclaimed, throwing my hands up into the air. "This isn't because Aubree's a teacher, and you know it! It's because I'm in love with a girl!"

My dad took a step back, a frown deep on his face as he made no moves and said nothing. It was my mother who spoke. "Oh, Peyton, love, you're in love with her?"

I turned to my mum. "Yes, mum, I am. I love her so much, I just need you guys to know that." I glanced back at my dad. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner, but I was -"

Suddenly, my phone rang. It was Pharrell William's 'Happy' and very ironic at this moment in time. I pulled it out of my pocket, noticing it was the one and only: Aubree Willis. I felt my gut twist with fear and guilt, but also love. I didn't know what to do. What should I do?!

"Is that her?" My dad asked me, his teeth grit as he yanked the phone out of my hand.

"Dad!" I said, trying to take back my phone. "Dad, don't do any-"

He flipped open the phone, holding it against his ear in a death grip as he said the words that crushed my heart. "Stay away from my daughter, you slut."

And then he flipped the phone shut and chucked it onto the table, taking my happiness with him.

I felt the tears well in my eyes. "You are not permitted to see her, to think of her. I will have your phone and laptop, and that Sebastian isn't allowed around here any longer!" He said, eyes bulging and voice hoarse, with a furious overtone that made my blood run cold. This was not my father. This was a stone cold man, with no heart and no soul. He was simply an empty vessel that created me, and I wanted my dad back.