(12) Guilty Surprise

Peyton's POV

 The next morning I planned to stroll into Aubree's class, trying to look as confident as possible. Maybe if I didn't seem completely freaked about the parents evening appointment, she wouldn't be either? At least that's what I hoped. In actual fact I was dying inside and this was the only hope I had. 

"You're parents are making you book a maths appointment?" Sebastian asked, putting an arm around me. "I'm sorry, Peyton."

I nodded. "Yeah." I said, trying to sound nonchalant. "I'm trying to not let it bother me. Are your parents letting you off?"

"They are." Sebastian replied. "They said all my English reports had been so good there was no need to go in and see Mr Mathews in person. They still want me to book everything else, though."

"Lucky you." I said as I slammed my locker shut. "I'm dreading telling her."

"Well you're going to have to get over that quickly." he said. "Because we have her next."

"I know. When she called me last night I didn't say anything, I just acted like everything was okay.  I was going to tell her - I was! But then Grace arrived and they were both talking to me, and I just didn't want to ruin it."

"I think you made the right call." Seb said as we made our way down the corridor. "I would have hated to ruin Noah's night with news like that. That said, I think we should arrive early so you can talk to her. I don't think it's wise to drop that bomb on her in front of the whole class."

I nodded. "Good idea." I said, clutching my folder tighter to my chest. "Let's go."

 When we arrived to Aubree's room, I was greeted by my favourite pair of green eyes. I smiled immediately and she gave one back. "Peyton, Sebastian! I wasn't expecting you two for another five minutes." She said, standing and making her way over to us. 

"Just wanted to say hi to my favourite teacher." I said, desperately wanting to pull her in for a hug, but knowing it was too risky with all the people jammed in the hall just outside. "I actually just came to, errm...to-" I paused, gave an awkward cough, and spoke again. "-to book a parents evening appointment with you."

Aubree looked startled for a second. Her beautiful lips parted slightly in shock, her eyes widened. "Parents...evening?" She said slowly with distant eyes as she tried to digest the news. 

I nodded. "My parents were adamant to meet my new maths teacher." I muttered. "They want to meet the teacher who drastically changed my grades - the 'miracle worker' in their eyes."

 Aubree leaned back against her desk, staring hard at me. "I have to meet your parents...as your teacher?"

I nodded, noticing it was suddenly getting hot in here. "My dad doesn't know I'm gay, as you know, but my mum..." I sighed, grabbing a handful of my hair. "my mum does, and she has a fifth sense when it comes to me and girls."

"We have be extremely cautious." Aubree replied, looking a little white. I wanted to grab her hand and comfort her, but I knew that under the circumstances, it was a bad idea.

"Of course." I replied, nodding. "But we need to find a balance. Act too informal, or too formal, and my mother will know something is up."

"I know that!" Aubree snapped, instantly shrivelling into herself. I wasn't hurt, because I knew exactly how she felt - well, almost. I couldn't actually get in any legal trouble for this, but she could. I would get a singed reputation for sleeping with my female teachers and a little emotional scarring and bullying, but nothing more. Sighing, Aubree apologised and glanced at Sebastian. "Are you getting an appointment too, Sebastian?"