(15) Guilty Explanations

Aubree's POV

It was a shock to see Peyton and Vicky storm out of the Cooper's front door. There I was, a ladder propped up the wall and at the ready to save my Peyton, and they laughed at me and shook it off. Next thing I know I'm indoors having a cup of tea with my girlfriend, my best friend, and my girlfriend's mother, trying to explain a more than complicated situation to her.

It was a weird time in my life.

In fact, this past year was a giant mess. Ever since I met Peyton it'd been such an emotional roller coaster I didn't ever think it would end. But now here we were, outing ourselves to her mother - yet that still didn't mean our ride was over. In fact, if anything, the real ride had just begun.

"I'm going to die down Milo's anger. I'm not going to be able to stop it and if he sees you, Aubree, he might go off on one, but I promise that you will still be able to see Peyton and she will still be able to go to school." Vicky, Peyton's mother, said.

Peyton and I breathed a sigh of relief, and I grabbed her hand. "Well, if I ever see Milo, I'll run - that's an easy solve." Grace rolled her eyes at me as Peyton smiled and squeezed my hand. 

"So how long has this been going on?" Vicky said, changing the topic.

Peyton and I looked at each other and shrugged. "About as long as I've been teaching here." I said, looking back to the mother.

"Well I wouldn't say that's quite true I mean there was that thing at the club -"

"Grace!" Peyton exclaimed, hitting her, and Grace immediately shut up. 

"Sorry." She whined, taking a sip of her tea.

Mrs Cooper looked back and fourth between the three of us. "Club?!" she said, confused. Then she turned to her daughter. "I knew - I knew you weren't going to house parties every Thursday!"

Peyton shrugged, guilty, and said: "Sorry mum."

But her mum only laughed. "It's fine, love, really. I've known you're a lot...wilder than you make out to be for a long time." She smiled and took her daughter's hand. "Your father had no clue, so I kept with the story, listening to all your terribly formed lies."

"-hey!" Peyton said, taking her hand from her mother's. "Do you know how long those drunken excuses take to concoct?"

The mother only shook her head and said: "I don't want to hear about your drunken adventures, thank you very much.."

Peyton gave a shy smile and shrugged.

"You're totally right about the wild thing, Mrs C." Grace said, butting her big nose in again. "These girls have done some cr-aaaa- zay things!"

"Grace!" I said, kicking her under the table. I was trying to make a good impression, and she was really not helping in the slightest. In fact, she was foiling my chances. "Shut up!" I frantically whispered. 

"Now, now," Vicky replied, a devilish smile landing on her face. I cocked an eyebrow. "it's not like I'm not aware you two have done some risky things - like having sex in a car, right outside this house, for example."

Grace burst out laughing.

Peyton shrunk into her seat.

I died.

"You - you saw that?" Peyton asked. 

Vicky laughed. "Love, I'm pretty sure the whole world saw that. You didn't exactly try to hide it."

"I knew that was a bad idea." Peyton mumbled, turning to me. "Whoopsie."

Whoopsie?! Whoopsie! I'm mortified, how will I ever live this down?! Every time I see this woman I'm just going to think: you watched me have sex with your daughter. That's a lot more than a simple 'whoopsie'!