Chapter 19

"I can't believe this happened to you. And they found you right here in the base! Now we've got to move the base! Again!", expressed Leia, rubbing her large tummy to relax herself.

We spend a lot of time together now, having become what I would call best friends. Sometimes we even have sleepovers in her large quarters.

"Don't worry about me Leia. And it's not like the base isn't commonly moved. Just relax, or you'll stress out the baby and not to mention yourself.", I say rubbing the knots out of her aching back.

"I know, it's just...shit, it's hard being a General and pregnant at the same time!", she said, letting out an exasperated breath.

"Let the other officers worry about the move for now and when you've had the baby, you can go back to your duties. You're due any day now anyways.", I say calmly.

I look around her nice room. Well, it's as nice as you can ask for when you're the General of the Resistance.

We sit together on her bed in the late of night unable to sleep. Leia because of the troublesome child in her stomach and I because of the nightmares.

Now that she is eight and a half months along, I am sticking around with her more often than not as she can give birth any day now and she's afraid of being alone when it happens.

I don't mind at all, enjoying the company of Leia. She is like a sister that I'll never have.

"So...enough about me. I want to know about your wedding.", she says with a smirk.

I give a little giggle at her expressive face. She has quite the character. That must be why her and Han go well together.

"Well, I have been meaning to ask you...would you initiate the wedding? I mean, you are a General so you can technically initiate it because of you military st-", I ramble nervously before I am cut off.

"Of course. I was actually going to suggest that I do it.", she smiles giving my arm a comforting rub, "It would be my honor to marry my best friend to the man if her dreams."

"Your amazing, Leia.", I say with a sincere smile and reach in to give her a hug.

Hugging pregnant women sure is awkward with a large bump in the way.

"You know, the other day I heard that Janine...Jyn?", she started with a smirk and ended with wide eyes.

"I'm listening.", I say staring up at the ceiling.

"No, Jyn. Please go get a medical droid.", she says shakily.

"What? Why?", I ask looking back at her.

Suddenly, I understand what she's getting at as I spot the wet puddle on the bedsheets that surrounds her.

"Oh, shit. The baby's coming.", I say with wide eyes, running out the door to find a droid.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Leia lays in the hospital bed giving struggled groans and moans, trying to deal with the now five-minute-apart contractions while squeezing the shit out of my hand.

We were just led into her designated room after the horror that occurred in trying to get her to the medical center.

"Oh my Force, Jyn. It hurts.", whimpered Leia, squeezing her eyes shut.

"I know, Leia, don't worry, you will start pushing soon.", I say with encouragement.

"General Leia, your cervix is now dilated by 7 inches. Once it has been dilated by 10 inches, you can start pushing.", said a nurse who rushed in with dark circles under her eyes from lack of sleep, " Press the button on the side of your bed when the contractions are two minutes apart."

She rushed out to attend to another matter.

"Jyn, i know i told you not to bother Han...at this time at night but...I didn't think we would get to the pushing stage...this early.", she struggled to say with furrowed eyebrows.

"Don't worry, I call for him.", I say as I rush outside to the hall.

I spot a general labor droid in the hallway and run over to it.

"On command of General Leia, go wake up General Han Solo and bring him here. Tell him his child is being born.", I say quickly to the droid who quickly leave to perform its task.

If only humans were as quick and obedient as droids.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Suddenly, Han bursts through the door just as Leia's contractions have become three minutes apart.

He rushes over to Leia's side, who gives him a small yet pained smile.

"Geez...you look like a mess.", she comments with a small smirk.

His hair is pointing in all different directions and his eyes are wide yet tired, a look for a mad man.

What a comment to make when you're about to go into labor.

"I could say the same for you.", he said with a smirk as well.

I hadn't noticed her disheveled appearance until now.

Her hair stuck to her sweaty forehead and her eyes also having dark circles underneath from lack of sleep.

"Nerfherder", she says under her breath.

"Fuck, another one.", she complained, referring to another contraction.

I look up at the clock in the room.

"Leia, the last one was two minutes ago, we need to call for the doctor.", I say going over and pressing the button the nurse mentioned.

"Why do you need to call the doctor?", asked Han worriedly, obviously knowing nothing about pregnancy or birth.

"It's time to have the baby, dummy.", said Leia with a hand over her eyes, obviously not ready for the pain that is to come.

"Han, I don't think you want to stay for this.", Leia says to him.

"I really don't. I'll be right outside if you need me.", he says to both of us, giving Leia a reassuring kiss on the lips, "I love you."

"I love you, too.", she says letting go of his hand.

Right as Han walks out, the doctor walks in with a nurse.

"Alright General Leia, My name is Doctor Hamill. It looks like it's time to start pushing.", said the doctor, clapping his hands together.

"I'll be right outside, L-", I begin as I walk toward the door.

Before I can take three steps, Leia puts a hand to my arm to stop me.

"No. Stay here. I need your help, Jyn. I can't do this alone.", she says with pleading eyes. I have never seen fear in Leia's eyes.

"Ok. Is that alright doctor?", I say, making eye contact with the doctor.

"Do you have any experience in infant delivery?", he asks with eyes raised, knowing i am a soldier, not a nurse.

"No, but I'm a fast learner.", I say with confidence, knowing I have to be there for Leia as she promised she would be there for me on my wedding day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author's Note:

I just saw the full video on YouTube of the "One Love Manchester" concert and I was blown away.

I'm not even much of a pop fan (a lot of the music was pop, not all of course) but there was just so much love and strength in the crowd that I found myself singing along.

Oh my God, the ending though. When Ariana sang "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" I was literally crying. No, sobbing.

It was such an amazing concert and I can go on and on about some of the best segments like Coldplay and Miley Cyrus but I would end up making this A/N longer than the chapter so I'm just gonna ask you guys to go check it out. It was very uplifting, yet heart crushing.

#IstandwithManchester

#OneloveManchester

May the Force be with you guys.