4.1

Alex

I stood in awkward silence and I could hear everyone's anxious breathing.

"Um, okay let's just give these 2 some time to catch up and ponder things while we go in the kitchen and do something that's not in here." Emma said breaking the silence.

"Okay."

"Sounds fair."

"To the kitchen we go."

I heard as everyone exited. Once it was just me and Justin I closed the door behind and stayed put not even knowing what to say.

"Happy birthday-"

"What are you doing here." I simply said, not letting him finish the full sentence.

"Not exactly the warm welcome I was hoping for."

"Yeah. Sorry I'm just not really thrilled by your presence right now." I said a bit coldly.

Justin looked at me for a split second, then down at his shoes, then back to me, "Are you still mad at me? About what happened last year?"

"Don't make it sound so distant it was 3 months ago." I spat.

"I'm gonna take that as a yes.." He mumbled. I stood with my arms crossed.

"Alex I'm sorry okay. I hate how things went down, it was crap I know, you were hurt- I know!"

"Yeah well I didn't because your 0 messages and 0 calls said something completely different."

"I was trying to give you space."

"Oh really? Because giving me space sounds a lot like avoiding me."

"I didn't avoid you, it's not like you texted me."

"What was I supposed to say? Hey I know you broke my heart or whatever but how are you? Do you know if Sienna would be cool with me being her maid of honor at your wedding?"

"Okay you've got a point." Justin said sighing heavily, "But I'm here now. On your special day. And I'm really happy to see you."

"I don't know if I can honestly say the same." I said looking at him with serious eyes.

Justin stared at me in defeat, "You've gotta forgive me."

"When should I do that? Before or after you apologize?"

"Now. Alex I came here to see you, from New York and we both know how much of a milestone traveling to see each other is. Doesn't this mean something to you?"

"Should it?"

"Yeah! Yeah it should!"

"Okay you two wildcats." Emma said peeking her head through, "I hope you two had fun, I know we did. How about you guys come in and we'll eat some cake!"

"I don't like cake and you know that."

"There's a pint of icecream with your name on it." Emma said cheekily, "Come on come on."

Me and Justin let out sighs and went into the kitchen seeing everyone talking over cake. Justin sat at the table with my parents, and I sat on the counter with Emma and Zoey. I turned to Emma, "Who invited him."

"Don't look at me. It was your parents."

"Oh my god I should've known!" I exclaimed watching them laugh and catch up with him.

"How'd it go?" Zoey chimed in.

"Well we didn't hug and say I miss you." I said hoping she'd infer.