Chapter Eighteen: A Missing Friend

Justin

“Ugh, wait. Can I know your name?” I asked the boy who accompanied me to the bank to get some cash—in Peso already, of course.

“I’m Alfred,“ he continued walking in an arrogant manner, but managed to keep his friendly smile on his face.

I can trust him, right? Can I?

“I’m Justin, by the way. Justin Bieber—that’s me.” He stopped walking as I did the same, with his eyes wide open and jaw dropped he muttered a Filipino word.

Putangina... Justin Bieber? As in Justin Bieber the famous musician and producer?” I nodded with a proud smile on my face, “holy baby.”

“Ugh, what’s putangina by the way?” I asked, innocently. He burst out laughing and I stared at him as if he grew another head. In return, the poor boy blushed.

“Ahh, ehh.. It’s nothing,” then I got it.

I laughed at him a little and said, “it’s bad language isn’t it?” I smirked at him and he nodded frantically.

“Hey, Justin. Can you wait here? I’ll be gone for a minute, I’ll just call someone.”

“Sure, go ahead.” I watched him go away and grab a newspaper from the rice stand vendor. I stared at the newspaper suspiciously.

Justin Bieber Missing; Reward Php 500,000 — Call (044) 693-7362

“Oh, shit,” I muttered. Whispering, I added, “this can’t be happening to me. How did that get to the newspapers? That can’t be George, because they never liked the idea of newspapers. God, they’re mafia members! This means it would be something like Pierre or whoever in the world he is.”

I need to do something. If that wasn’t George that Alfred is going to call, then I am in huge trouble—I already am in one, actually.

A hypothesis; that’s all I got. A hypothesis that I am in huge trouble. Alfred rushed towards me and smiled.

“What did you do?” I asked him with a serious look on my face.

He looked quitely tensed up when I said that, but then replied, “I–I just called my father. You know the tricycle guy. I told him to no longer wait for us and I’ll just give him, ugh, his payment later.” He stuttered. Busted. There must be something going on here.

“Oh, okay. So where are we going now?”

“We’re going back to the place where we left my father. You will find tricycles and jeepneys there who can take you to a nearby inn here,” he smiled showing his teeth.

“Oh, okay,” I held my head down and sighed. God, I don’t want any trouble anymore.

We walked pass by many townspeople and stores as we kept on walking for five minutes. The Filipino citizens were buying and selling goods everywhere. Almost anything can be found in their market—vegetables, fruits, toys, bread, fish. Name it, you find it.

As we walked on the road I noticed that we weren’t in the same place anymore. I know I haven’t been here for too long, yet—like, seriously, I just went away from Pierre—but, I am not too dumb to realize that this wasn’t the path that we went through an hour ago.

“Alfred, are you sure we are walking in the right way?” I questioned him as I dug my hands in my pockets. The people got fewer as we walked further and further.

“Yep, we’re just taking  the other way,” oh really?

“But, I think I just saw the tricycle sto—” I was cut off by his Filipino accented—yet, not ugly like the others (no offense)—voice.