Chapter 04: Work

Louis drives his shiny, black Volkswagen Passat down the busy morning streets of London. Out of curiosity, he lets his gaze wander out of his windows to gaze at the passers by.

He spots two men around his age chatting while they jog in the park. Then a group of about five construction workers having a laugh while on their morning break. Even as he stops by a red light, he rests next to four business men in a car with the windows down, all conversing lightly with each other.

They spot Louis watching them, so he gives them a casual nod and wave, not knowing what else to do after being caught staring.

"What the shit is he looking at?" Louis hears one of them mumble to another. All four of the men give Louis sour looks, leaving him to do nothing but focus back on the road, dripping with shame and embarrassment.

How the hell is Louis supposed to make friends in a big city like this when everyone is already satisfied with their own cliques? Especially at his age. Louis isn't that old, but he's old enough to have a professional job and a new fiancée in his life. In other words, he's old enough that he should already have plenty male friends of his own by now.

Louis shakes his thoughts off as he pulls into the underground parking area of his office. He's ready to do business without being distracted with something as civil as boyfriends.

"Royal London Realty, how may I direct your call?" Louis passes the receptionist on the phone as he enters the busy office space. "Please hold..."

Louis makes his way through the hustle and bustle of his co-workers, all either walking around and trading files or sat at their desks in important calls with their clients.

"It's very close to downtown. How close do you wanna be?" Louis overhears his sickeningly suave co-worker, Nick Grimshaw, on the phone with a buyer as he walks past his desk. "Thank you, sweetheart," he winks at a female employee as she hands him a folder of papers, then goes back to his phone call. "I can't get you that close. 'Cause the schools are terrible."

Louis rolls his eyes, drowning out Nick's voice by walking through the office to sit at his own desk. He immerses himself in his work for the majority of the day, until he finds himself by the water cooler on his lunch break, talking to three female co-workers who he has always felt comfortable around.

"The skyscrapers were all lit up, I got down on one knee..." Louis continues the story of his proposal to Eleanor. "She was totally surprised."

The three women hold their hands to their hearts, all swooning at how much of a romantic Louis can be when he really tries.

"Well, I'm jealous, Louis, 'cause you never gave me a shot," an older woman with dark skin and a silky voice teases him, making the other two ladies laugh. She grabs a muffin from the refreshment table. "But you're gonna make the best husband."

"Stop it! Stop!" Louis pretends to blush, taking a sip from his coffee mug. "Alright, you can continue now," he winks, sending the women to giggle at his charm once more.

After his break, Louis strolls back towards his desk, saying hello to a few co-workers along the way. He of course has to pass Nick again before he gets to his own cubicle, but his good mood leaves him unaffected.

Nick is in his own world, struggling not to laugh as he watches something on his computer screen. Although, he's still somewhat making it obvious that he's doing so, looking around every now and then to see if anyone is looking at him. Louis knows he's doing it just for attention, but he's bored and has signed all of his forms for the day, so he decides to walk over to him.

"Hey, Nick," Louis smiles politely, coffee cup still in hand.

"Hey, man," Nick barely looks up from his screen.