Chapter 16: The Man Cave

Harry and Louis take turns walking Harry's dog, chatting for minutes on end about books and theories as they pass along the River Thames. They come to a small suburban area not too far of a distance from the St. Katharine Docks. Soon enough, Harry is guiding them up the front pathway of a small, quirky house and pushing his way through the gate of the white picket fence that borders the property.

"...the span of this, like, I don't know, 30 pages," Harry sums up their conversation about a long and interesting book he once read.

"That's insane."

"It's crazy."

"I know, I read it in college, and I loved it," Louis comments, following Harry onto his property. "Oh, what a great house!"

"Thanks, man," Harry drawls pleasantly. "Yeah, come check out the back."

"Yeah!" Louis enthuses.

Harry's dog, Anwar Sadat, leads the way as the two men push through a taller gate to enter the back garden.

"This is a bumper car I got on eBay," Harry points out a full-sized, yellow vintage bumper car by the entrance of his yard.

"Ha!" Louis chuckles, looking at the contraption impressively. "Oh, wow."

"I was in a bidding war with CarnivalKid32," Harry tells him, "so I had to go on the "Buy It Now" price, but I got it."

"Coolness."

"And you remember Marlena," Harry pats the handlebars of his beloved motorcycle as they pass it.

"Hey, Lenish," Louis plays around, following in Harry's footsteps as he taps the handle just the same.

"Now let's check out the pièce de résistance, bitch!" Harry leads them to yet another, even larger gate. The taller man pushes through it using his back and Anwar follows him like it's his second nature.

Well, Louis reconciles, the dog does live here.

"I wanna do it!" Louis sings, still intriguingly taken by the entire junction of mismatched, yet really cool items that Harry has placed all around his yard. He follows Harry to a stand-alone building amid his collection. It's smaller than his actual house, yet large enough to be used as a guest house, and then some. "Oh, separate garage...?"

"Mr. Tomlinson," Harry speaks deeply, showing him the way in and flicking on the lights.

"Very nice..." Louis voices out of habit, before he actually looks at anything.

"Welcome to the Temple of Doom," Harry outstretches his arms, strolling backwards into the space.

That's when Louis' face falls blank.

There are numerous amplifiers and electric guitars along one side of the room, all kinds of funky lamps and art along the opposite side, couches and vintage tapestries strewn around the centre of the pad, shelves with books and board games alike, a massive drum set positioned towards the back, and just enough natural light let in from the windows of the actual garage door to set the ambiance perfectly.

Louis is suddenly struck in awe, "Holy shit, Harry. This place is insane! Holy fuck. Oh my god!"

"Thanks, man. I try," Harry chuckles, already over at his mini fridge next to Anwar's designated bed. He grabs a couple of beers and cracks them open, rising to watch Louis' reaction.

"This is amazing," Louis continues to look around, taking in everything.

"Thank you, sir."