“The blood is used as a sort of sacrifice and in turn each of the candles is blown out until the seventh day when the seventh candle is blown. If we fail this challenge then we only have one attempt left which is on your 13th birthday, if you fail that too then you are taken to the Hall of Masters where you are trained in other fields…”

Emery’s face showed no emotion, making my cheeks blush just a little too deeply. Moving my head away so that he couldn’t see I continued, “Anyway, when it was my turn to take up this challenge five years ago, I went to the House of Maidens and knelt by the statue and I sent up a silent prayer to Isha asking her why did I deserve this humiliation? What had I done wrong to not deserve to have something as precious as a tail? After I survived the seven days of torture, I was released from the room and as I left I felt a sudden warmth flow down my spine. It was magical and it was then that I knew something special had happened, that Isha had answered my prayers at last. I ran home that day and looked in the first mirror I saw to find, to find this,” I looked at my tail. It was like no other tail that I had ever seen.

_ _ _ _ _

As Kaida looked at her tail, a small smile appeared on her face. Her turquoise eyes mirrored the colour of her already matured tail which was far from unique; it was delicately soft and spiraled in curls, like a piece of DNA, made out of seven thick strands of blue fur all intricately tangled together – it was beautiful. No wonder she had to hide it! It was beyond any tail anyone would lay eyes on. But it had to be kept a secret, for now anyway.

 _ _ _ _ _

Emery

“The blood is used as a sort of sacrifice…” I couldn’t help but look at her. I memorized the fineness of the silvery blonde waves that ran down the length of her back, stopping at her waist; a strand of hair was loosened from the rest and dangled in front of her face, she quickly retrieved it and tucked it behind her ear as she continued her babble. Thick eyelashes clung to their lids, moist from the tears that he knew she didn’t want to fall, her lips like petals that he just wanted to...Why was she chosen? Out of everyone, Isha, you had to choose her, why? The burning questions angered me, my temper hanging from a thread. I had to show her that I didn’t care, and I wouldn’t care, distancing myself would be the best possible thing to do. Yes!

There was something about her. When I laid my eyes on her I knew that we had a connection, but I didn’t want to believe it was true. I could never love someone. Not after what’s happened. She didn’t need to know, not yet anyway. I’m dangerous, a threat to society, or so I’m told! But unfortunately I fail to see how.

_ _ _ _ _

Kaida

The light was fading quickly as we left the corridor – night was approaching. Everyone else was either in their common rooms or their dormitories.

“Come on; let’s see if we can catch a bite to eat before I take you to your dorm,” I tugged Emery along as we headed towards the cafeteria. I grabbed a bottle full of red liquid and sat at one of the tables waiting for Emery as he piled his plate high with meats. He sat beside me and dug into his meal. I stared at him intently before opening my bottle and pouring the contents into my mouth. The creamy liquid buzzed in my throat as it slid like satin into my belly – blood was exactly what I needed.

After the meal we scurried down the hallway and out into the courtyard. I stopped at the willow tree which stood by the water fountain; there under the tree was a small wooden bench, my favourite spot.

“Oi, Kaida, come on,” Emery hissed my name. I hurried to his side and opened the door to my common room. There are at least 20 separate common rooms around the school, each holding around 20 students. Some of the kids were still up; most still lounging around on the sofa’s watching TV. Their heads turned towards us as we entered the room, their tails flickered in annoyance.