|28| feelings surface ✔

Edited | ✔

chapter twenty-eight

f e e l i n g s   s u r f a c e

Ava

Groaning, I stretch in the uncomfortable motel bed before opening my eyes and squinting at the sudden exposure of light.

Almost immediately, a shadow looms over me and I notice West pacing back and forth in front of the bed.

I sit up and stretch my arms over my head until I hear a satisfying pop before I clear my throat. West stops and quickly looks over at me with a nervous smile.

He sits at the edge of the stiff bed and stares at me as if I were a rare animal.

"What's wrong?" I finally ask.

He sighs, his rough and large hand whisking his hair out of his face once, before his eyes lock with my own once again. "I did something terrible. It was the most selfish thing I have ever done in my life and I know once you find out, you'll never forgive me."

"That's a bit overdramatic, don't you think?" I question nervously. "What could you have possibly done that could be so awful?"

"I uh. . . I met your father at the Diner a few blocks away from where he was staying─"

"You what?" I exclaim accusingly.

Why did he have to meet him?

"Let me finish before you yell at me, please," he says before pausing. "I met him there because I was upset and hurt and every single emotion in my body was magnified by ten because. . . well, because I love you, Ava. I know you probably don't feel the same way, but I had to let you know."

Sighing, he runs his hands through his hair as I stand up in awe and in shock. "But that's not the bad part," he whispers suddenly. Standing up and stepping towards me, I narrow my eyes at him. "I told your father to set Dana free. I wanted you to stay with me and I thought that if I got him to set her free, you would stay for a little longer and─"

I expected to feel hurt, but for some reason all I feel is relief. She shouldn't be my issue and she should just learn from her mistakes rather than me pounding her mistakes into her like I've been doing. Sure, it made me feel better, but I wouldn't like it done to me and that's something I need to learn.

"It's okay," I cut him off.

"What?" he questions, completely baffled.

"I need to get over what she did to me anyway. It wasn't healthy. Ya know, wanting to murder someone so badly and everything." I suddenly smile. "I hope she finds happiness. Because. . . well, I think I've found my happiness in you."

"You what?" he chokes up. His eyes are the size of saucers as his cheeks are flushed with the slightest of pink.

I'm guessing this isn't the response he was expecting which isn't always a bad thing. I think I'm finally acknowledging the feelings I've had for him instead of pushing them away because of fear. My sole focus was always on Dana and now that it isn't, my sole focus is immediately averted to him and I can't be happier.

Sure, it confuses me a little, but I can learn to swallow the fact that I do have feelings for him.

If two months ago you were to tell me I would be opening up to a guy about how I feel, I would have never believed you because after Kevin died, I didn't want to look in the direction of a guy again.

I didn't want to get attached in fear of someone else leaving me.

But since the beginning, West has always been the fire to my incredibly dull and dark life. Sometimes fire spreads.

"I like you a lot," I admit.

He frowns playfully. "Make up your mind. Just yesterday morning you were telling me the kiss we shared was just a kiss."

I roll my eyes and playfully nudge him before moving in closer to him. Wrapping my hands around his neck, he tenses immediately before relaxing and resting his hands on my hips. Leaning up, my lips brush his ear causing him to shudder involuntarily.

"Maybe I can show you a kiss with a little more meaning," I whisper before pecking his jawline.

Finally, my lips meet his own and my eyes flutter closed as I take my time to savor him. He smiles into the kiss which causes me to smile before I dig my hands into his hair. He pulls me impossibly closer to him before we both break away out of breath.

"I like you a lot."

"I like you a lot too," I respond.

Well Ava finally made up her mind

Well Ava finally made up her mind. And the book is very very close to an end.

Don't be a silent reader!

Vote
Comment
Share
Follow