Chapter 24

A.C

All night, I remained restless with lingering thoughts and so many 'what ifs.' I wanted to check up on Edward to see if he managed to fall asleep but my own cowardice kept me confined to the room.

How was I ever supposed to look him in the eyes without wanting to run because of a nervous heart?

On our way back to the Bradford house, there seemed to be this form of tension bearing down on us. I felt unsettled but a certain kind of revelation dawned on me; I do care about what Edward thinks of me.

Groaning, I rub my eyes and throw the sheets aside before entering the bathroom to take a nice, ice cold shower to ease my aching muscles.

Throwing on something simple but not too shabby, I quickly blow-dry my hair and cautiously peer down the hall before heading to the kitchen where the smell of pancakes have a drugging effect.

"Good morning, Aubrey. Did you sleep well?" Mrs. Bradford asked chirpy.

"A little." I couldn't lie to Mrs. Bradford. The woman has a hidden radar for these kinds of white lies.

"Well, maybe a bit of gardening will do you some good then." 

Smiling back at her, I shift my gaze to Mr. Bradford, who's reading the morning paper while drinking what I can only assume to be berry juice. "Good morning, Mr. Bradford."

"Morning, can I ask you something?" His voice drops to a whisper at the latter and I stare at him questioningly, and nod my head to urge him to continue. 

Folding the newspaper, he swiftly glances at his wife before turning his attention back at me. "Did something happen yesterday?"

 I nearly gasp but restrain myself from displaying any kind of emotion."What do you mean?"

"Did something happen yesterday for my son to be up nearly all night drinking?" His face softens into parental concern and I'm speechless.

"He isn't an alcoholic, Aubrey. So, if something happened and you think I should know..."

"I have no idea what could have led him to drink." There's a shakiness to my voice. Surely, Edward wouldn't resort to drinking because of what happened with Devon.

 And it's not like I was the one stopping him from kissing me – even though I should have, but I don't even regret my inability to do so...but is he insane? Drinking while he has a head injury! Was he trying to die early?

"Morning, Mom and Dad."

Speak of the devil. I eye him suspiciously, his red-rimmed eyes and groggy state were clear signs of a bad hangover. Glancing at me, he silently takes the seat next to me and adds five lumps of sugar into his coffee.

"Oh Eddie, you look just awful!"

"Gee thanks Ma, that's what every son wants to hear."

"No mother likes seeing her son hungover! Make sure to lock up the liquor cabinet, Harold."

"Yes, dear."

Nibbling on some toast, I pour myself some tea and remain silent. It isn't my place to interfere, even if I wanted to grab him by his collar and literally knock some sense into him.

"Aubrey, if you ever catch my son recklessly drinking, please feel free to call me." Repressing a smile, I nod my, 'okay' and finish my tea. Cleaning up, I decide to lounge in the library for a bit.

Settling on a novel I've previously read before, I manage to flip through the first five pages when the library door shutting closed has me looking up to find Edward leaning against it.