Chapter 45

A.C.

When I finally do awake, it's a struggle as my entire body aches from the night before. Rubbing the grogginess away from my tired eyes, it takes me a moment to take note of my surroundings. Our clothes that had been tossed onto the ground near the bed are now hanging against a chair while the spot next to me is bare. 

"Edward?" I croaked and within seconds his head pops from the door, with a hand rested on its frame.

Still half asleep, I'm tempted to lay back down. "What time is it?"

"Almost one," he said, coming in and wearing a new set of clothes. He managed to leave while I was asleep and came back, hardly making a sound.

"Help me to the bathroom then," I replied sighing, attempting to stand on shaky legs.

"You don't look so good, Brie."

Harrumphing, I send him a sideways glance. "And whose fault do you think that is? I need to take a hot shower and I'll be fine. God, you could have at least gone a little easy on my thighs," I added the last bit under my breadth but he picks up on it, nevertheless.

He has the ability to look slightly morose but a sheepish grin follows. "I'll try placing my focus on other areas next time." 

Helping me to the bathroom, Edward hands me a fresh set of clothes and I manage to shoo him out while washing away the soreness and feel almost as good as new after a shower. I make it to the living room in time to hear a few knocks coming from the door.

Edward and I glance at one another curiously as I make my way to answer it, but nothing could have prepared me to see my father and Edward's mother waiting behind the door.

"Dad?" I questioned, flushing pink as seeing my father on my doorstep was the last thing I expected after spending the night with Edward.

"Ma?" Edward gapped, coming up behind me. Clearly, his thoughts matched mine and we share an awkward glance before darting our eyes back onto our parents.

"So Dad, how'd you come here without Mom knowing?" I asked placidly as both parents take a seat on the couch.

"To check up on you, of course."

"How come?" I questioned, pressing lightly for more details while doing my best to not squirm from the intensity of his inspection when he eyes me more thoughtfully.

"Once she finds out you two have been dating, she'll start making wedding arrangements and sending out invitations."

AND HOW DID SHE FIND OUT? I could feel a nervous bead of sweat developing and ready to drip down my brow. It's only been a few hours, so how did our parents know? This has to be a sixth sense or deep seeded intuition, yet rationality is telling me it was Maggie who spread the word like wildfire.

Grimacing, I start shaking my head in protest. My Mother would dictate everything and anything, the end result being a fiasco of disappointment and sadness; the birthday parties she'd planned in the past were dark memories for both Nick and I.

Mrs. Bradford however, seems delighted by this. "Wedding invitations? That's a great idea!" Silence comes over the three of us, Edward's walked off to stand against the window with a heavy cloud over him, my Dad merely places a protective hand over my shoulder, and I just blink dumbly.

"Aubrey, that's a wonderful idea! Have the two of you set a date?" Mrs. Bradford asked eagerly.

"Er..." How the hell was I supposed to answer that?

"Ma!" Edward reproached, groaning from her comment.

"What? I know it hasn't been that long but c'mon. You two should think about hurrying things along."