Chapter 19

A.C.

We arrive at the apartment complex and my heart plummets in my chest. How Edward plans to handle this I have no idea but as long as my reputation stays intact, then I can't complain. 

The driver drops us off and I exhale a shaky breath before getting a grip - this is Cindy, we're talking about, maybe I'm over exaggerating things; Does she hate me enough to mutilate me like this? But I already know the answer to that.

 When a man's involved, women have a strange way of revealing an ugly side of themselves even if they seem levelheaded at first. 

"Relax, she won't eat you alive," Edward muttered into my ear next to me.

"No, but she might eat you alive," I clarified, giving him a pointed look. 

"Very amusing." A frown settles on his face and I know I'm only venting my anger at him. 

Entering inside the building as the doormen open the doors and greet us, it doesn't surprise me when we soon encounter Cindy, who's waiting impatiently on a velvet red couch. 

"So both of you, are together." Her eyes briefly settle on me before resting on Edward. She looks like she wants to devour him whole as her eyes glaze over in what I can only assume to be lust. 

"Oh. Aubrey's old boss. I didn't know you lived here." I turn to Edward in utter disbelief. That's how he's going to play it? 

Quickly masking my surprise, I glance back at Cindy to see her nostrils flaring and her cheeks blazing red. She did not take kindly to that act of ignorance. 

"I'm sorry, but don't you remember my name?" I hear the shrill tone within her voice and it actually scares me. 

"Er....." Edward trailed, pretending to take this question seriously.

I almost groan out in misery as he snakes an arm around my waist and pulls me closer towards him. With dread, I look up to find Cindy's eyes zero in on Edward's hand lazily resting against my side.

"I'm really sorry, I have to apologise. I meet so many people on a day to day basis that names seem to be lost. What was your name again?" Edward asked lightly, finally turning to her after tucking a strand of hair behind my ear. 

I stand rigid and motionless, afraid of Cindy killing me off with her stare and afraid of Edward's touch which makes something inside of me panic.

"Cindy." She spits out her own name and I shrink back as the fury in her eyes unsettles my nerves. 

"Oh. Well it was a pleasure meeting you, Cindy. Now if you'll excuse us..." Edward said, his face taut with a polite smile.

She doesn't budge and her defensive posture, I know for certain that she doesn't plan to move an inch. 

"But I'm here to see, Aubrey. We have so much to discuss," Cindy bit out.

We do?

"Such as?" I asked meekly.

"Just work related issues."

"I no longer work for you."

"Yes, but I came by to ask for your insight on a certain matter," she gritted, an edginess to her words. 

The grip on my waist tightens and I risk taking a glance at Edward. His eyes are narrowed dangerously towards Cindy. She on the other hand, is oblivious to his piercing gaze; if she didn't leave now, I don't know what will happen to her once Edward's through with her.

"I'm sorry, Cindy, but could we do it some other day? I've had a long night..." I tried explaining in a feeble attempt to dissipate the tension crackling in the air.