Chapter 4

A.C.

Walking quickly through throngs of people, we manage to locate a nearby ice cream parlour.

Entering, we place orders for an odd combination of flavours. Receiving strange glances, I can't help but sink just a little lower in my chair.

A man immaculately dressed in business attire and a woman dressed in simple jeans and oversized t-shirt make a weird pair amongst families and children.

Glancing nervously at my phone, it comes alive and I check it to see that the caller is Edward.

Mr. Yamato's posture turns rigid as he sees the caller ID displayed. His show of impatience towards Edward must stem from his dislike of being interrupted when he was taking up someone's time, even if it's being done at an ice cream parlour.

Yamato-san must highly disapprove of Edward always getting what he wants, whenever he wants. And if that's the case, then I'm with him there.

"Clement-san?" He asked stonily.

"Hai," I squeaked.

"How long have you known Edward?"

His question throws me off guard. I was expecting him to discuss the welcoming event, not indulge into my personal affairs.

There was however, something about the strong personality before me. He had an intelligent air which gave the feeling that he understood or would not judge me poorly because of his own standards.

"I can't really say I know Edward. I was best friends with his sister until she died five years ago. I haven't seen or heard of him since, until now that is," I said carefully, remembering that Mr. Yamato is still affiliated with him.

"Then why do you dislike him so much?"

"Well that's-" pausing, I realise he's looking at me intently.

"I guess it's because we've never gotten along during those brief moments when we did see each other."

He considers my words, a far off look in his eyes. "Sou desu ka?"

"Hai," I responded quietly, still feeling out of place.

"And why do you dislike him so much now?" He asked, an unreadable glint in his eyes.

"Old feelings die hard, there's just something about him that unsettles me...I'm sorry, he's your friend and I'm talking about him like this," I said bitterly, a twinge of guilt hitting me since it felt like I was talking behind Edward's back in a really negative light.

"Do not worry, I asked you and you've replied. I only want the truth and you've given it to me."

"Yamato-san, was ice cream really necessary?" I asked lightly, attempting to change the subject.

His eyebrows shoot up and he gives me a look of bewilderment as if it's the most obvious thing to do. "Yes, of course! It's burning hot outside and I wished to speak with Clement-san, so I decided to tackle both."

He smiles at me impishly and I can only respond with a smile of my own.

But our friendly atmosphere dwindles as a looming figure stands next to us, breathless from sprinting through the door.

"Why weren't you picking up your phone?" Edward looks incredulous, his dark brown orbs burning holes through me.

Sniffing the air, I refrain from replying and glance away. Screeching a chair which sends my ears to hell, he brings it next to mine and seats himself with some defiance.

Yamato-san looks entertained which only makes me frown. "Yamato-san and I were simply having a nice chat," I said coldly.

"A nice chat?" Looking at me and then to Yamato-san, he goes back and forth but neither one of us spill the topic of our discussion.