Twenty Two

• Ella's P.O.V. •

I am woken up at 8 A.M. on a Saturday by my phone ringing. Groggily, I check the screen for caller ID and Austin's name shows. I curse at him mentally for waking me up when I am supposed to be sleeping in.

"You better have a good reason for calling this early," I answer.

He laughs and says, "Eight isn't early."

"It is for me," I point out.

"Anyways," he says, pushing the conversation in a different direction, "Happy Birthday!"

I smile and bury my face into my pillow, as if he can see me blushing through the phone. "Oh, yeah, my birthday," I laugh.

"Who forgets their own birthday?"

"I didn't forget, I'm just not as excited about this one as I've been in the past," I say.

"What, why? Come on, you're eighteen! Legally an adult! That's exciting," he cheers through the phone.

"I guess. Thanks for the birthday wish anyway."

"Of course, see you at dinner tonight."

"See you there." I hang up and just lie in bed for a few minutes scrolling through my phone. I get bored of that and decide I should actually get my lazy self out of bed. As i'm changing out of my pajamas I hear the front door open and close and I hear two people whispering. I go downstairs to find my brother and my mom shoving candles into a cake.

I clear my throat and they both whirl around. "You scared me," my mom gasps.

"What are you guys doing?" I smirk.

"We definitely weren't last minute decorating your cake that we shouldn't have waited to get until this morning," Chris offers.

"Right," I laugh. "Thanks for procrastinating on my birthday."

"At least we didn't forget," my mom says. "Here, have some." She cuts me a piece with a candle sticking out of it. She lights the candle, then passes the plate to me.

"Cake for breakfast?" I ask, an eyebrow raised.

"It's your birthday, live a little. Blow out your candle and make a wish," she smiles.

"Mom," I whine, "I'm not twelve."

"Just do it," she rolls her eyes playfully. I let in a long breath and then exhale, extinguishing the small flame.

"Thanks guys," I smile.

"You're welcome, now go get dressed. We've got other things planned for you," my mom smiles back.

Their plans were taking me out for ice cream and shopping, two things they know I love and cannot resist.

"Today's really been great so far, thank you guys," I say pulling my mom and brother into a hug as we exit the last shop.

"Glad you're having fun," my brother laughs. "So what's it feel like being an adult?"

"I'm only legally an adult, now. I don't really feel any different," I say.

"Just wait until you're on your own, working and paying bills and stuff. That's when you really become an adult," my mom teases.

"I'll pass," I joke.

"I wish you could stay young forever, too, both of you, but unfortunately that's not how life works."

We go back home to change into some nicer clothes, and then head out for my birthday dinner.