Chapter Seven

What happened between Austin and I was absolutely not nothing. I spent all weekend replaying that moment. Over and over.

At first I felt guilty for almost allowing myself to kiss Austin when I have a boyfriend. Then, I was angry that Austin had even tried something like that with me and had potentially risked our friendship by almost kissing me when he knows i'm with Tyler. But now, i'm just confused. Part of me wishes we'd done it. Just to know what it'd be like.

Now it's Monday. The weekend is over and Austin and I hadn't talked once. Today was my chance to finally talk to him about Friday night.

As soon as I walked through the school's main doors, my first priority was getting to Austin. I checked by his locker and found him there.

I skipped the greeting and just got straight to the point. "You didn't call or text me all weekend."

"You could've called or texted me," he said.

"I wanted to, but I was scared," I admitted.

"Why would you be scared to talk to me?"

"Because of what happened Friday night. Or what almost happened," I said. I noticed him tense.

"What about it?" He asked, as if he didn't remember.

"What do you mean 'what about it?' You almost kissed me." I was sure to keep my voice down as people were scattered all over the hallways. Never know who could be listening in to your conversations.

"That was nothing, Ella, don't turn it into something," he said.

"What?! How could I not? It was something, Austin," I freaked.

"I was just messing with you. You know, like I always do. And, anyways, it's not like we actually kissed. I would never do that because I know you're with someone," he explained.

"It didn't feel like you were just messing around," I fired back.

"Again, it was nothing."

"Whatever, i'll see you at lunch," I said before walking away. I was on my way to my own locker when Tyler came out of nowhere and stopped me.

"Hey," he greeted.

"Hi," I smiled.

"I wanted to talk to you about Friday," he said.

"F-friday? What about it?" I stammered, nervously. What if he knows what happened between Austin and I somehow? What if he brings up the fact that I was being weird with him after the game?

"I felt bad that I said I'd call but never did," he explained.

I let out a relieved breath, instantly feeling less on edge. "Don't worry about it. I knew you were busy with your teammates."

"Yeah, but I do that a lot." He tore his gaze from my eyes and placed it on the floor between us instead. Was this his way of saying sorry for never keeping his promise to call me?

"Don't worry about it, Tyler, really. It's okay," I smiled, trying to convince him. It really wasn't, but I decided against making an argument of it.

"You're the best," He smiled, giving me a quick kiss. The bell rings and he grabs my hand. "Come on, i'll walk you to class."

***

"Hey," I say to Austin as I slide into the seat across from him at the lunch table.

"Hey," he says back.

"About this morning, let's forget I ever brought it up. You're right, it was nothing," I smiled.

As angry as I was at him for pulling that little stunt, I can't deny that part of me sort of liked it. And anyways, it most definitely was not something worth ruining our friendship over. I'd made the choice to let it go.

"Sounds good to me," he said, almost seeming relieved.

"Can we talk?" Tyler asked, popping out of nowhere. Again. It made me jump a little.

"You scared me," I laughed. "Sure." I got up from the table after telling Austin i'd be right back, then followed Tyler to a more quiet place in the cafeteria.

"What's up," I smiled, but he didn't return it. "Everything okay?"

"Why did I have to find out from someone in class that you and Austin almost kissed?"

How did he know? Austin and I were all alone on the bleachers that night, no one could have seen us.

"What?" I asked, caught off guard.

"They overheard you and Austin arguing about it in the hallway this morning. When were you going to tell me?" He asked angrily.

"I didn't think I needed to. Nothing happened, I swear," I pleaded.

"Sure."

"I'm serious! It was nothing. He was just messing with me, that's all. I would never do that to you, you know that. Don't you trust me?"

He sighed. "It's not you I don't trust."

"What you mean?" I asked.

"It's Mahone. I know he's got a thing for you-"

"He doesn't," I cut him off. "That's crazy, why would you think that?"

"Ella, come on, it's so obvious he likes you. Plus, you guys always spend so much time together."

"Well you're always busy," I fired back. That earned me a sigh from him.

"I know," he said lowly. "I guess part of this is my fault for neglecting our relationship."

"That's not what I was getting at," I said.

"I know, but it's still true. And you're right. I should start making more time for us." He stepped closer to me and grabbed my hand. "How bout you come over tonight? We'll hang out like we used to."

I smiled. "I'd like that."

"Me too. And, uh sorry about all this. I know you'd never do something like that to me. Guess I just freaked out."

"Don't worry about it," I smiled. We parted ways and I went back to the table Austin and I were sitting at.

"What happened?" Austin asked.

"He knows about Friday. Someone overheard our conversation this morning and told him."

"Great," he groaned.

"It's fine now. He's not mad anymore so let's just drop it and act like it never happened," I pleaded.

"Yeah, sure. Good idea."

------------------------------

a/n:

this chapter's kinda whatever. didn't really have much of a plan for it. sorry if it wasn't as exciting as other chapters lol.

--m