Chapter Thirteen

small refresher since i haven't updated in a while: Tyler cheated on Ella, and she broke up with him. Austin found out and obviously was pissed so he confronted Tyler. Austin & Ella told each other how they felt about each other & finally said they love each other.

---------------------------

"How was school?" My mom asks from the kitchen as I walk through the door.

"Boring. I was alone all day today, again, since Austin got himself suspended," I said, rolling my eyes. My mom knew about everything. I had told her the day it happened.

"You know, i'm not saying I approve of him going off and starting a fight, but in his mind he was protecting you. You shouldn't be so hard on him for doing something he's always done," she says.

"I didn't ask for his protection," I sighed.

"Honey, that's they thing about people who love you. You don't have to ask." With that she returned back to her task of washing the dishes. I thought about what she said, and she's right. I shouldn't be so mean to him, especially after all the things we said to each other just a few days ago.

I go up to my room and call Austin, hoping he'll accept my invitation to come over.

"What?" He answers.

"Well, hello to you too."

"What do you want?"

"To talk. Will you come over, please?" I beg.

"Fine. I'll be there in ten." With that he hangs up. I let out a sigh, knowing we're probably going to end up getting in a fight.

I sit on my bed, playing on my phone, as I wait for Austin. Ten minutes finally passes by and right on cue the doorbell rings. I rushed downstairs to let him in, but my mom had beaten me to it.

"Hey," I said awkwardly.

"Hi," is all he says. My mom takes that as a signal to leave.

"We should probably go up to my room," I suggest. He nods and brushes past me, leading himself there. I close the door once we're both in my room, and silently stand by it.

"Did you bring me here just to sit in awkward silence?" He asks.

"No." I roll my eyes.

"Then?"

"Look, I know you're mad,"

"Understatement," he cuts me off.

"Aus-"

"You told me you loved me too, and that you wanted to be together someday, and then you just stopped talking to me. Total silent treatment. I thought I did something wrong, or that you changed your mind or something," he raises his voice.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to make you think like that, but I was just mad. I told you not to confront Tyler but you did it anyways," I said.

"You should've known better. Of course I was going to confront him. You're my best friend, there was no way in hell I was going to let him hurt you and get away with it. I was just trying to protect you."

"If you really wanted to protect me, and if you really care about me, you'd have done what I asked!"

"Why would you say that to me, Ella, you know I care about you. I thought I made that clear when I told you I freaking love you," he said angrily.

"Well sometimes actions speak louder than words." I regretted that one sentence the second it left my mouth. I waited for him to yell or storm out or something, but he just closed his eyes and let out a long heavy breath.

"Look, I know you're mad, and that sometimes people say things they don't mean when they're mad so i'll ignore that," he points out.

"I'm just frustrated, Austin. I was already so embarrassed about getting cheated on by my boyfriend of three years, and then you go and fight him. And I know you were just protecting me and, believe me, I appreciate that, but I just want all this to stop. I just want to let it go and not have to worry about it anymore." I walk over to my bed and sit with my head in my hands. This whole mess is exhausting and it's starting to literally give me a headache.

Austin sits next to me and sets his hand on my shoulder, but I shrug it off. I just wanted to be left alone for a minute.

"Ellanour," He says softly. A shiver runs down my spine. As much as I complain and tell him I hate it when he calls me that, the truth is I love it. Always have. He's the only person I allow to call me by my full name, simply because I love the way it sounds when he says it.

I look over at him with tired eyes, and wait for what he'll say next.

"I apologize. I didn't mean to add to the hurt you're already feeling," he says sincerely.

"I know, and I'm sorry too."

He nods his head in understanding, and gives me a soft smile. I lay my head on his shoulder and we just sit there quietly. I was glad that we were okay again. I think there was just a few last things we both needed to get off our chests.

"Do you really think we should try to be together? I mean, I want to, but is it smart?" I ask him.

"Of course I think we should. Why would you ask that?"

"I guess because i'm scared. After Tyler, I don't have much faith in relationships. I just don't want to get hurt again."

"Ella, I won't hurt you. I care about you way too much to ever hurt you. I love you, you know that," he smiles.

"I know, and I love you, too," I look up at him. He leans down for a kiss and I let him, not thinking anything of it at first, but then I pull away.

A small kiss shouldn't be such a big deal since we act like a couple already anyways, but he was right when he told me that we shouldn't rush into a relationship so soon after my breakup.

"Sorry," I blush.

"Don't be," he gives me a half smile. "I understand. And I can wait. Best friends for now, right?"

I laugh, "Yes, best friends for now. Thank you."

"Anything for you." He gives me a kiss on the forehead, and that I allow.

-----------------------------

I AM SO SORRY ABOUT UPDATING SO LATE! i feel so bad, but guys i have been so busy! i hope you guys are still even interested in this story & still willing to read!

please vote & leave lots of comments. I appreciate them & you!!

--m