Chapter Five

So my dad called me today. He said he wanted to have lunch with Chris and I, so we were on our way to our favorite restaurant. My dad said he'd meet us there.

"Think he'll actually show?" Chris asked.

"Nope, but if not, then you and I will just eat without him."

"He doesn't even care that his kids can't rely on him. This is bullshit." He slumped down in the passenger seat.

"I know, Chris," I said quietly.

A few more minutes, and we were finally there. To our surprise, our dad was already waiting at a table for us.

"He showed up, it's a miracle," I said under my breath.

"Hey, kids," my dad smiled when he saw us. He rose to give us each a hug before sitting down again.

"Hey, dad," we both said.

"It's been a while."

"Yeah, well, we tried meeting up with you a bunch of times but, you know," my brother challenged.

"Son, please," my father pleaded.

"Let's just be happy that the three of us are together now," I said, trying to defuse the situation.

"Sounds like a great idea," Dad said.

About an hour later, we were about done with our food and were just talking. It actually wasn't going as horribly as I thought it would.

"So," my dad spoke up, "the reason I wanted to meet up with you guys today is because she thought I should tell you both this in person."

"She?" Chris asked.

"Yes, I've been seeing someone."

"So, what? You were just gonna call to tell us some news like that? Your girlfriend had to convince you to see us because you can't be bothered to do it on your own?" I asked.

"El-" he started, but stopped when he noticed I was laughing. "I'm sorry, Ella, is something funny?" He raised his voice a bit.

"Yeah, actually. I find it funny how you could be so shitty a father that you could spend all your damn time with some woman instead of with your kids." I have no idea where this sudden confidence came from, but I wasn't about to back down from it. I planned to use it to make my point.

"Now, Ella, I know I haven't been around as much as I should be and I know I'm not the best dad to you kids, but that gives you no right to speak to me like that," he said, pointing an accusing finger at me.

"She's right, though," Chris stepped in.

"You stay out of this," my dad snapped.

"You know what, this was a mistake. I can't believe we actually though you wanted to spend time with us; to make this right again." I stood up and grabbed Chris' arm, making him stand too. "We're leaving. You can pay. After all, it's the least you can do."

I stormed out of the restaurant and into my car. I waited for Chris to catch up and get in before I started it and made my way back home.

"What the hell happened in there? When did you get the balls to talk to Dad like that?" Chris asked, shocked to say the least.

"I'm not scared of him anymore," was all I had to say.

"Look, i'm not saying what you did was wrong because it was all true, but do you know how many problems that's going to cause us? He's definitely not going to want to see us now," he said.

"Well, then, that further proves my point of him being a shitty father." My brother and I didn't say much the rest of the way home. I was too pissed, and he was just quiet.

When we got home our mom asked us how our lunch went, so we explained. She was shocked to say the least.

"Ella, I can't believe you said that to him. Where did all of that come from?" She asked.

"I don't know, Mom, I guess I was just angry," I said.

"Well, i'm sorry it didn't go the way you both hoped it would."

"Me too," I whispered.

My mom started saying something to Chris, but my phone vibrated and caught my attention. It was a text from Austin.

Austin: how'd lunch with your dad go?

Me: not good.

Austin: want to talk about it.. stairs?

Me: not this time. let's just do something. i want to get my mind off of it.

Austin: sure. come over?

Me: yeah, be right there.

"Hey, mom, I'm going to head over to Austin's," I told her. I didn't wait for her response, I just left. When I made it to Austin's house I just walked right in, not bothering with the doorbell.

"Ella, what a surprise," Michele said, smiling. Her smile fell when she noticed my facial expression. "Oh, honey, what's wrong?" She asks.

"My dad and I got into a fight earlier," I said. Michele knew my situation with my dad, so I never felt weird about talking to her about it.

"I'm sorry. I know you were hoping things would get better soon." She pulled me into a hug. "Hey, maybe they still can. Just give it some time. The hardships will pass eventually."

"Thank you, I hope so." I gave a weak smile and then went off to find Austin.

"Hey," I called out to him when I found him. He turned to me from his spot on the couch and greeted me.

"Come sit," he said. I sat next to him and he immediately pulled me into a hug. "Are you sure you don't want to talk about it?"

"Not right now," I sighed.

"Okay, well, let's occupy your mind with something else then. Wait here," he smiled. I stayed put on the couch as he ran all over the house. He finally returned with two pillows and blankets, a bunch of movies, and a tub of ice cream.

"What's all this?" I asked.

"We're going to sit on the ground and watch funny movies to make you laugh while stuffing ourselves with our favorite ice cream," he explained.

"The funny movies and ice cream sound great, but sitting on the floor? There's a perfectly good couch," I whined.

"We did this all the time when we were younger, and we're doing it now. No arguing."

"Fine." I rolled my eyes but smiled inwardly. Austin has always been so thoughtful. It's one of the things I love about him. "What did I do to deserve a best friend like you?" I laughed.

"I ask myself that same question everyday," he smiled.

------------------------------

i'm having fun writing this story so far so i really hope you guys are enjoying it. thank you for your votes & comments! keep them coming!

also, if you guys want, you can follow me on twitter. my user is yourenotacm. i'm actually active this time lmao. & im always looking to make new friends :)

p.s. who else is excited about Way Up & Send It because i definitely am. austin's on the rise ;)
--m