Chapter Sixteen

The first thing I did when I woke up this Saturday morning was call Austin to tell him I hadn't changed my mind. Of course I threw in "I told you so" a few times.

"Are you gonna say something?" I asked, breaking the silence between him and I.

"Let's go on a date," he blurts.

"What? A date?"

"Yes, a date. You know, when a guy and a girl go ou-" he starts to explain but I don't let him finish.

"I know what a date is, smartass, I just haven't been on one in a long time. I guess i'm a little nervous," I say.

"Don't be nervous, it's just me. It'll be good," he promises.

"Okay, when?"

"Can you be ready in an hour?" He asks.

"I can try, but you know me," I laugh.

"Yeah, you kinda do take forever to get ready. Okay, an hour and a half."

"Deal."

I hang up and begin getting ready. By the time I finish I have hardly any time left to spare before Austin gets here, so I check my appearance in the mirror once more.

"You look fine, Ella," my mom says as she pops her head into the bathroom.

I grip at my chest and whip my head towards her direction. "You scared me," I laugh.

"Didn't mean to." She crosses her arms and leans against the door frame. "Where are you going?"

"Out on a date with Austin," I say.

"Wow, I never thought I'd hear you say that," she raises an eyebrow and flashes a smile.

"Me either, but things have changed," I grin.

A knock on the door grabs both of our attention. I slide past my mom and make it to the front door.

"Have fun," my mom says from behind me as she walks to the living room.

I open the door to see Austin standing on the other side with a smile. He looks me over and smiles even bigger.

"You look nice," he winks.

"You don't look half bad yourself," I say, taking in his own appearance.

"Shall we?" He asks, holding out his arm for me to take, which I do.

"So, where to?" I ask as he leads me to his car.

"Figured I'd treat you to lunch at your favorite restaurant."

"That sounds amazing, i'm pretty hungry," I admit.

"Then we should hurry," he jokes.

He takes me to my favorite restaurant, and of course we have a great time. Doesn't matter what we do or where we do it, as long as the two of us are together, we can make the best of anything. Doing the simplest of things could turn out to be the best of times.

After our lunch, we decided to take a walk through a nearby park. It was a beautiful day out, so we figured why waste it inside?

"Have you told your mom about us yet?" I ask, walking alongside Austin.

"No, I've been waiting until we make it official," he looks down at me.

"I was planning on doing that, but I couldn't keep my mouth shut," I chuckled. "My mom knows everything."

Our hands keep brushing against one another, but neither one of us makes a move to grab the others. I get those stupid butterflies every time I feel his skin touch mine.

"That's not a bad thing. It's not like we have to keep us a big secret."

"Yeah, I don't really care who knows about us," I tell him.

He looks down at me with love in his eyes. "I've been waiting for this for so long, it's hard to believe it's actually happening."

"I know. If you told me a few months ago that this was gonna happen, I'd think you'd lost your mind," I laughed.

"It's crazy how things change," he says.

"This change was for the better." I look up at him with a smile.

He didn't say anything, he just threw his arm over my shoulder and pulled me into his side.

Our date, which was only meant to last a few hours, went on all day. Not that I was complaining; I treasured any time I spent with Austin. It was night time now, and we had just about run out of things to do, so I told Austin it was alright to just take me home.

The whole car ride to my house consisted of Austin trying to focus on the road while I sang both loudly & badly. He begged me numerous times to, I quote, "Please shut up because I sound like a dying cat." I of course, being the annoying best friend that I am, only sang louder at his requests to stop.

"I swear it's like it's your mission to constantly annoy me," he complained as he pulled his car into my driveway.

"My life would have no purpose if I didn't bother you every second of the day," I said, placing my hand over my heart while mocking sincerity.

"Ha. You're just hilarious," he rolls his eyes.

"Thanks!" I laugh. I get out of the car and he follows. He walks alongside me until we reach my front door. "Well today was fun," I say.

"Yeah, I'd say it was a pretty good first date."

I nodded and looked down, fumbling with a piece of my hair. "So does this mean we're officially dating?" I asked shyly.

"Well, I don't know, do you still want to be my girlfriend?" He raises an eyebrow.

"I'd love to," I smile.

"Okay, then yes, this means we're officially dating," he smiles.

"Finally, huh?" I shrug my shoulder.

"Yeah," he wraps an arm around my waist, "finally." His face is dangerously close to mine, but he doesn't make a move.

"We don't have to say 'best friends for now' anymore," I point out.

"Nope, we don't," He almost whispers. He moves closer, and I close my eyes but he plants his kiss on my forehead instead of my lips. I furrow my eyebrows, as his arm leaves my waist and he takes a step back. "I had a great night. I gotta get home, but I'll talk to you tomorrow."

"Wait, what the hell!" I exclaim.

"What?" He questions, clearly confused.

"When you walk a girl up to her doorstep after a date you're supposed to give her a kiss! On the lips! Haven't you ever seen a movie?" I ask, throwing my hands up in the air. Now that we're actually dating, I expect real kisses! I've been deprived of them long enough.

"Wow, you just can't resist me, can you?" He laughs, moving back over to me.

"Shut up before I change my mind." I pulled him into a kiss and then stepped back. "There. Now I'm happy."

"You're honestly so weird," he says.

"You love it," I fire back.

"Not really, I just deal with it," he shrugs. I give him a soft push and he laughs. "You know i'm joking. I really should get home now, though."

"Yeah, sorry, go," I smile.

"Goodnight.. girlfriend," he winks.

I laughed, and said, "Goodnight, boyfriend." Man, do I love the way that sounds.

----------------------------

not my best chapter, but hope yall like it. & if you like this book, check out my other two, Not So Bad & Falling For You. you might like them!

also, let me know what you guys think about me doing a chapter in Austin's point of view. should I do it? pls vote & leave me some comments!

--m