064

"Stop looking at me like that!" She snapped

"You just stole ninety dollars from that old woman," he laughed, pointing his thumb over his shoulder as they continued into the grocery store.

"We'll I'm sick of you paying for everything. I'm not with you to mooch off of you." She started towards the candy aisle immediately. It had been hard being with Shane for the past couple days, watching as he smoked stick after stick. If she didn't distract herself and her idle hands soon, she'd be joining him and his bad habit.

"She'll realize it soon, not to mention you didn't clear that camera on the way in"

"Would you like me to go back out there and put it back into her purse? The purse she's left hanging wide open and abandoned in her cart with her back turned?"

Shane held his hands up in surrender.

"Just didn't think you had it in you," he shrugged as she tugged him further down the aisle by his sleeve.

"We were together for a reason." She hated to admit it, but she looked at him briefly before grabbing a few bags of the strawberry flavored candy. She thrusted them into his chest and silenced him with a finger to his lips when he began to protest.

"What happened to people change?"

"I have"

"Have not," he countered childishly.

"Have too"

"Have not"

"You need cigarettes," she huffed. "Go that way and get them. I'm gunna grab some other things. I'll meet you upfront in ten minutes. Think your simple brain can handle that?"

His top lip only snarled and his silver eyes flashed her a promise of hurt before he turned away, his arms stuffed with candy packages.

She suppressed a laugh.

Rounding the snack isle, Blink stopped in her tracks, her jaw dropping and her stomach curling in worry; the single package of open Twizzlers in her hand dropping to the floor.

Run

The thought entered her mind a bit too late and before she could even pivot her head in the other direction, a thick hand was roping itself around her waist and yanking her backwards.

x x x x x x x

"Call me crazy" Carter paced back and forth insistently even after Justin recommended sitting at least three times.

"Crazy" Justin rasped as he lay on his back on his bed.

"I'm crazy?" Carter's voice rose as he stopped to gape at his roommate. "This place is a mess— completely wrecked! It smells like cigarettes and cheap liquor. Two things I told you weren't allowed to pass that doorway and now Blink's gone"

"That's nothing different," Justin's reference was towards Blink's disappearance.

Carter plainly ignored him as he continue to pace and swear under his breath.

"Are you gunna help with any of this?" Carter gestured to the sheets and covers ripped off of both of their beds, the shattered liquor bottles, the overturned dresser, Carter's desk lamp broken to pieces on the floor, and the noticeable smear of blood on the back of the door.

"Maybe later" Justin shrugged as best as he could while laying down.

"Maybe later" Carter copied while laughing an empty laugh. "What in the hell was going down in here for all of this to happen? Couldn't you have cleaned it up before I got back? You're never going to live this down"

"Jesus Mom" Justin sat up to quiet his roommate. "Sorry I was knocked unconscious and didn't have the time to clean for you sweetie. I'll do better next time"

Carter scoffed, passing Justin his blaring phone. It'd rung a couple of times in the last several minutes. "That's Dad to you and there won't be a next time"

This is a very, very short chapter but this officially marks a big part before the last couple of chapters.

We finally will see and understand who these men are who take Blink once a month and what they do.

Stay tuned xxx