018

Thirty-five minutes had officially passed and Justin was beginning to gasp for air as the sound of Blink's footsteps rang out a few steps ahead of him

Thirty-five minutes had officially passed and Justin was beginning to gasp for air as the sound of Blink's footsteps rang out a few steps ahead of him. He wasn't very good at determining distance, but he had to guess the two had been running side by side for at least four or so miles. They'd successfully escaped campus grounds awhile back without grabbing the attention of any other students, and after a sprint down a dirt road, Blink lead him into the frost covered forest.

The trees seemed to go on endlessly, their thick branches stiffly moving in the unrelenting wind. Sparse at first, the amount of trees quickly thickened. At certain points even his view of Blink and her curls was hidden by the rough bark and dying foliage of the evergreens warm season.

Coming to an abrupt stop, Justin swung his hand up to lean his weight against the nearest tree, ignoring the sting of the bark against his freezing hands. "Blink we gotta... stop... just for a second" He panted. "Can you tell me... where the hell we're going?"

Nodding in acknowledgement, Blink slowed her pace too. Finally she stopped and although she seemed glad to stop for just a second, to breathe, the constant antsy pace she resumed told Justin she really would rather keep going.

"We're almost there" she replied. "I promise"

Wiping at the back of his neck, Justin caught the small beads of sweat from further dampening the collar of his hoodie. "That doesn't answer the question. I've been quiet this whole time. I've followed you this whole way without questioning you. Im not moving another inch until you tell me something."

Throwing her hands up in an act of surrender, Blink took the few steps closer to Justin needed to bring them nearly a foot apart. "Were trying to catch a train to Detroit"

In that instant, the blaring of a large horn jarred what only seemed to be Justin out of his calm demeanor. In comparison, Blink appeared completely unaffected as she moved from Justin's side to dust her hands of the dirt from the tree's bark she leant against moments ago. Justin knew then that where Blink was leading him was in fact where she disappeared to on a regular basis.

But Detroit? It seemed a bit too far to escape to so many times a month. His mind was pulling him in so many directions that he didn't know what assumption was correct and what was a bit too much of a fantasy. Detroit was too far way, but the way Blink was executing this path through the forest... it was just too self explanatory.

Smirking, Blink grabbed Justin's shivering hand. An odd thing because despite the frigid weather, running was keeping them pretty damn warm. Lacing their fingers, Justin smiled at the multiple colors that adorned her fingertips as usual.

"As much as I really love our little chats, we have a train to catch. The horn you just heard lets everyone know that its about to take off." She stretched her arm, making sure to pull Justin from against the tree while their hands were still connected. "We've only got a little bit left to go."