Day 5

Dad unlocks the door letting us file in, he sighs, setting his keys on the coffee table. "Home sweet home," I kicked off my shoes, seating them by the door. Inhaling, the sweet aroma of fresh strawberries, lavender air wick air fresheners, an- Strawberries? My eyes widened as memories of yesterday flashed into my mind. Shit!

"Ami I'm going to start dinner soon,"

Mom hung her jacket on the hook next to the door, before looking to me.

"Do you mind doing the dishes afterwa-"

"I'm going to my room!"

"Amianna!"

His voice boomed off the walls, frustration weaved in his tone. I breathe a heavy sigh, then turn to meet his gaze, showing my annoyance. "He can wait, we have more important things to talk about tonight," Mom's lips slightly parted, shocked, she slowly ogled over at him as he sat on the couch, his expression pointed. My blood ran cold at his words, I stared at him, struggling to keep my expression from faltering.

"He's eaten, and he's been bathed, and is sound asleep in your bed,"

He knows I nod cautiously at his explanation as I take my foot off the staircase. Mom glances back over to me before clearing her throat, obviously feeling the tension in the room getting thicker. "I'm going to start dinner while you and your father talk," She mutters walking away into the kitchen. The atmosphere felt awkward, I knawed on the inside of my cheek to keep my nerves solid. Thinking back on what happened only hours ago is what brought me to this situation after all. Seeing the devastation in my parents' eyes, how suddenly Jessie and Gavin's demeanors had changed, and how Andre seemed so annoyingly intoxicating the second his eyes burned into mine. I gulped recollecting the scent of him but now wasn't time. Especially not while I'm in front of my Dad, I clenched my jaw as I brought myself back from my thoughts. He crossed his arms as his eyes waned, ready to read me like a book.

"Do you remember anything that happened at school today, besides going to class?"

"No,"

"Do you remember how Gavin and Jessie ended up injured?"

"No, didn't you hear what they said?" I scrunched my nose, eyeing him as I crouched down to sit at the bottom of the stairs, understanding it was going to be a long evening.

"But, do you believe them?" He tilted his head, disdainfully.

I raised my brows, mindlessly shaking my head, "No, I didn't." I slowly spoke.

"Why not?"

I glanced away sighing, "I don't know," I shrug as I turn my gaze to my fidgeting fingers. "It was just a feeling," I began to feel lost and disturbed by how strange Dad was behaving and how his presence certainly changed the atmosphere, it almost constricted me. I couldn't look him in the eye, but I felt so confounded by his firey hazels that it made it difficult to refuse to answer anything he threw my way. I was a cornered mouse, and this cat had me trapped. The only thing about being cornered is that you only get one chance to make a break for it or it's all over. He watched me for a moment before speaking again, but I was quick to have the first word.

"Da-"

"Are you aware of how much danger you put yourself in?"

  The mouse is dead, gone. So much for last chances. Taken aback I paused, "W-What? What are yo-"

His brows frowned as he visibly became more upset, he leaned down resting his elbows on his knees. His voice was soft, yet hoarse as he continued. "Do you have any idea of what Finn is?"