Chapter 41

Carrie ran through the hospital, past the front desk, and to an elevator where she took it up to his floor. Once the elevator opened on the fifth floor, she took off running down the hallway, nearly tripping a nurse.

She skidded to a stop, seeing his mother outside what must be his room, talking to a nurse. Dorothy stopped as soon as she saw Carrie.

It took Carrie a few seconds to realize Dorothy was crying too as they hugged. "What happened to him?" Carrie sobbed into Dorothy's shoulder.

She explained how he'd been shot outside of the school. And how he'd lost a lot of blood. "They operated on him right away to remove the bullet," Dorothy told her. "However, he's in hypovolemic shock. The doctors aren't sure he will make it."

Carrie hugged her harder. "I need to see him."

"Okay."

Dorothy opened the door to his room, following her daughter in law inside. When she saw him for the first time, Carrie couldn't hold back the rush of tears that now flowed down her cheeks.

He was laying in the hospital bed with his head turned to the side. Around his abdomen, several large bandages covered what she guessed were stitches. He was hooked up to several iv's, oxygen, blood, and the cardiac monitor as well as several other monitors. Harrison's heartbeat was very slow and his chest barely moved for several seconds in between breaths.

"Harry..."

Carrie sat in the chair beside him, hoping he would wake up and turn to face her. But he didn't. No matter how much she hoped, he didn't turn over.

"Harry please come back to me," she begged. "Please."

She leaned her head on his shoulder, her fingers now pushing loose hair out of his face. "Harrison, I need you. The kids need you."

Her hand slid down his chest and found his hand that rested at his side. Carrie laced her fingers with his, awaiting a squeeze from his hand. But that didn't happen.

For the next few hours, Carrie sat at his side with her head rested on his shoulder and their fingers laced together. It was then when her mom brought the kids. Adam, Emma, Billie, and Ben all made their way inside the now cramped room.

"Mom?" Someone asked quietly.

Carrie picked her head up and looked at her four kids standing at the foot of Harrison's bed with tears tumbling down her cheeks once again.

"Is dad going to be okay?"

"Yeah, tell me he's going to be fine. Right mom?"

She leaned her head back on her husband's shoulder. "I don't know."

"But mom, dad is real tough. Won't he be fine?"

"I don't know Ben. I really don't know."

•••

Later that evening, Debbie and Dorothy took the kids home for dinner while Carrie stayed at the hospital with Harrison. No matter how many times they pleaded with her to come, she would not leave his side.

It was then when the beeping started. Alarmed, Carrie sat up to see the cardiac monitor flashing. A few nurses ran in once hearing the noise. She watched the vertical lines disappear and a solid horizontal line appear on the screen...

Leaving y'all on another cliffhanger😏