Chapter 37

Carrie was in her office paying bills when her phone rang. By the ringtone, she knew it was Adam. He and Emma were going to the sports store while Harrison, Billie, and Ben were out shopping as well.

On the second ring, she answered her phone. "Mom!" Adam shouted through the phone.

"Adam, everything okay?" She asked, hearing the panic in his voice.

"No mom, someone hit me." He was trying his best to stay calm.

"Are you and Emma okay?"

"Yes."

She took a deep breath. "Where did they hit you?"

"We were at a red light and they hit us right in the back."

So he got rear ended. "Adam, I want you to stay calm. Everything will be okay. I'm leaving right now." By now Carrie had her laptop turned off and was on her way to the kitchen to grab her keys. "First I want you to tell me where you are. Then if you can, take some pictures. If not, don't worry about it. Get your car off the road and call the police. I'll be right there, okay?"

"Okay mom."

When Adam told her where he was, she instructed him to get his car off the road and forget the pictures.

"I'll be there in a few minutes Adam. Everything's going to be okay."

A drive that would normally take 20 minutes, Carrie did it in 7. The whole ride there she weaved through traffic while talking to Harrison. He would be there soon after her.

When his car finally came into view, she could see him and Emma standing beside the car, talking to a police officer with a man Carrie guessed was the driver of the other car. He was pointing to something on the back of his car when she walked up.

"Mom!"

Carrie hugged her kids. "I'm so glad you guys are okay."

"We're fine mom."

"What are we going to do about the car?"

She hugged them both again. "It doesn't matter right now. What matters is you and Emma are okay."

Carrie assessed the damage. Adam's whole back bumper was dented in and one of his tail lights was cracked. It wasn't totaled but it would need some work. The car that hit him looked a lot worse. It's entire front bumper was off the car and the frame was shifted from the impact.

The officer came to talk to her. "Based on the damage and skid marks on the pavement, there is no way it could've possibly been your son's fault. We don't need an adjuster to assess the damage. But what we can do is get started on insurance information."

"Thank you."

A few minutes later, Harrison pulled up with Billie and Ben. "Everyone okay?"

"Yes," Adam answered.

Harrison hugged both Adam and Emma. "I'm glad you guys are okay. And Adam, don't worry about the car, your mom and I will get it figured out."

"Thanks dad."

As Carrie and the driver were going over insurance information, Adam was telling his father about how the impact of the car hitting his was almost enough momentum to push his car into the one in front of him.

"Well let's be glad that didn't happen bud."

"True."

All of a sudden they heard a "WHAT!?"

It came from Carrie. Her attention was now turned to the other driver that hit Adam. "You what?"

She said it so quietly, Carrie could barely hear. "I wasn't paying attention. I was texting and driving."

Harrison could tell Carrie was pissed after hearing that, as he was on his way over. "You were texting and driving!?"

The woman nodded. "Yes."

Carrie took a deep breath. "You do realize the effect this has on me as a mother right? You put my kids in harms way. I'm not the least bit pleased to hear that."

The officer didn't even try to stop her. She was right. "And as a mom, I have to think of all the different outcomes. What if this would've happened when the cars were moving fast? You could've seriously hurt my kids. You're lucky this happened here when you weren't going that fast."

"Carrie."

She didn't say anything else after that, but instead rolled her eyes at the woman and walked away, leaving him to handle the rest of it. He watched her go. Carrie was right of course. As a father, Harrison totally agreed with Carrie. That woman almost put their kids in more harms way.

After everything was figured out, he followed her home with the kids. Later that night, they all had fun playing a family game. It was also determined that Adam's car would be getting repaired tomorrow.

•••

The next morning, Carrie woke yet again before her husband. "You sleepyhead," she whispered, kissing his chin gently.

His head lay rested on her shoulder and their hands were laced together ever since they fell asleep like this last night.

Suddenly his head turned to the side, and Carrie felt his gentle lips on her neck. The kissed trailed up her neck until he eventually sat up and kissed her lips. "Good morning Harrison."

He chuckled. "I could wake up like this every morning."

She now turned on her side to face him as they kissed again. "You wake up with me like this every morning."

"Not on the days you get up early."

Carrie raised an eyebrow. "You mean the times when I get up at a reasonable hour, and you're still sleeping for another two?"

"Yeah. Those I guess."

"You've been sleeping so much lately," she told him.

"I know sweetheart. I'm tired."

"You're always tired."

He smiled. "Well don't forget I have four kids to take care of."

"I take care of those four kids as well," Carrie contradicted.

"I'm never going to win one of these little arguments."

"That's right, you're not going to Harry."

His smile alone was enough to brighten her day. He rolled over with his face now against the pillow. "I'm tired."

"You are not going back to sleep."

"Come on, sleep with me."

She sat up. "Get your butt up. Let's go for a run or something."

Harrison groaned. "You're coming."

"Alright fine."