Chapter 25

Adam made a face. "So that's how it works?"

His father nodded. "Dad that's kind of disgusting."

"Sorry bud, but you wanted to know."

The face continued as they boys made their way back in the kitchen where Carrie was serving dinner to the other kids.

"Well how'd it go?" She asked, a small smile crossing her face as she caught a glimpse of Adam's facial expression. His nose was scrunched up and he looked like he'd just witnessed the most disgusting thing ever to be seen.

"Mom-"

But Adam was cut off by the rest of the kids asking what he and his father had talked about. "It was nothing," Carrie answered, following Adam and Harrison into the kitchen.

Once they made it far enough away from the other kids, she asked again how it went. "Mom it was really disgusting."

"This is something you'll have to learn about eventually."

"But mom it's just nasty."

Carrie smiled. His reaction was sort of a good sign. With his reaction being it was 'really disgusting' they wouldn't have to worry about him doing anything bad.

"You're too young for it anyway."

Adam leaned against the counter. "How old were you and dad when..." his voice trailed off.

Harrison and Carrie made immediate eye contact. "You can ask your father about that one." But as the words came out of her mouth, they both thought back to the time in high school when-

"Dad."

When he'd almost gotten her pregnant. It was prom night and after the dance, the two of them crashed at her house and did some things neither of their parents would've approved of. And it almost came with the then consequence of pregnancy.

"Dad?"

Harrison leaned against the counter, his glance with Carrie turning into a smile. "Dad, how many times do I have to ask?"

"Tell him Harry."

"Well..." he started before trailing off.

"Dad!"

He scratched the back of his head. "Your mom and I, you know... but I almost got her pregnant in high school."

"YOU GOT MOM PREGNANT IN HIGH SCHOOL!"

With that, the three other siblings' attention was turned toward the kitchen and mostly to their father. "Dad you what?"

Harrison's face got beat red. "Almost got your mother pregnant in high school."

The kids jaws dropped. "I said almost. And she didn't get pregnant. So there's no sense worrying about it now."

"Mom are there any other times dad almost got you pregnant?"

All attention turned back to Carrie. "Yeah like Emma said, were there any other unplanned pregnancies?"

"Well, you guys were supposed to have another sister," she answered, looking directly across the kitchen at Harrison.

"Mommy what happened?"

"I had a miscarriage before Adam was born."

"What's a miscarriage?"

Carrie sighed. "It means the baby died before mommy was ready to give birth."

Nobody said anything for a few seconds after that until Harrison suggested they go get ice cream. "Dad can I drive?"