Chapter 7

{September 2019}

It didn't help Harrison had a game the following afternoon after waking up at two in the morning. Opening his eyes, he heard the noise again.

Next to him, Carrie was already sitting up, her eyes scanning the room. "What the hell is that?" She asked.

He stayed quiet, hearing the high pitched screeching again. It almost sounded like it could be Billie crying. Then the noise came back, this time there was more than one of the kid crying. Could it be Emma too?

Carrie got up, making her way to the door as the noise continued. He followed her down the hallway and to Billie's room. But as they stood outside her door, it was clear the crying wasn't coming from her room. Harrison pushed the door open to reveal little Billie laying in bed, clearly asleep.

The two of them shared a glance before heading to Emma's room. It was the same result. "I'm really nervous now," she whispered as she followed him to Adam's room.

They stopped midway, hearing the crying again. This time it sounded like a child's scream. "Harrison..."

"I don't know Carrie," he whispered back, taking her hand in his. But she could tell he was nervous as well.

She reached Adam's room first to find the door ajar. No Adam. "Where the hell is he?" She asked rather loudly.

"Harrison... what if he... ran away?"

"Adam wouldn't do that. He's probably downstairs investigating the noise."

Carrie followed her husband downstairs, cringing at the scream piercing through the air. Please don't be Adam, she thought. Please.

There was no sign of him anywhere in the living room. "Adam!"

"What the f**k?"

"Harrison where is he?"

"ADAM DOUG-" he paused, hearing the screaming come to a sudden stop.

He turned and looked at Carrie. "He could be playing tricks on us."

"That's not like Adam."

"Nothing right now is like Adam."

"ADAM!" She yelled helplessly another time. If he wasn't in the house, was he outside? And what the hell is making him scream?

Carrie began to walk around to every door that lead outside, checking to see if any of the locks had been messed with. Nothing had been touched since she locked the house before they went to bed.

Coming back in the living room, she told him, "none of the locks have been touched."

"I checked your office and the spare rooms. He wasn't there."

"The kitchen," they both said in unison.

She followed him into the kitchen where they found Adam sitting on the floor by the table, staring at the sliding glass door. The scream, which they hadn't heard in a few minutes, pierced the air once again, and this time they knew for sure it wasn't Adam.

Harrison knelt down next to his son. "Adam what are you doing!?"

"Dad," he whispered quietly, pointing towards the door.