Chapter 13

Harrison woke Carrie after hearing the kids footsteps echoing down the hallway. Sitting up, she took Ben from him and made herself more comfortable against the pillow.

The door burst open, revealing the three children. "Mommy what the..." Emma trailed off, seeing the baby in her mothers arms.

"Why aren't you in the hospital mom?"

"Mommy had your little brother last night," she answered. "And I didn't need to go to the hospital."

"But mommy, don't the doctors have to help you have the baby?"

Carrie nodded. "Yes but some mommies like me don't make it to a hospital in time. And your daddy did a pretty fine job delivering your little brother."

"Can we see him?"

"Yeah, come on up."

The three kids climbed up on their parents bed. Adam sat between his parents while Emma and Billie sat on Carrie, seeing their little brother for the first time. "He looks so much like Adam."

She smiled. "He does."

Little Ben looked a lot like Adam when he was a baby. He had dark brown hair, just like Adam, and had brown eyes just like his big brother.

"Hey dad, how does mom get pregnant?" Adam asked, holding taking Ben from his father.

Harrison slowly turned and looked at Carrie who was trying hard to hold back a smile. "Carrie?" Please help me out, he mouthed to her.

"Adam I think your father will be able to answer your question better than I can."

Adam turned his attention back to Harrison who was having trouble coming up with some kind of answer or excuse. "Dad?"

Harrison shot Carrie one of his I'm going to get you back so bad looks. But she simply smiled. "Let's hear it."

He bit his lip. "Well uh, your mom and I-" by now Emma and Billie were also listening in on the conversation. "We um..."

"Come on dad. I don't have all day."

"Adam you really don't want to know," Carrie cut in, saving Harrison.

"Why?"

"Because it's not for your ears to hear."

He put his hands on his hips. "Come on mom."

"Your father and I will have the conversation with you when you get older."

"Fine," he muttered under his breath. "When will you tell me?"

Harrison and Carrie both exchanged glances. "When you turn 16."

"But that's so long," he complained, handing Ben back to Carrie.

"Tough."

Emma chipped in on her brother's side. "But mommy how is daddy the baby's daddy if it grows in you?"

"Like I told your brother, we will have that conversation when you guys get older."

"Now why don't you guys change and we'll have a family breakfast?"