Chapter 27

Adam came inside, jumping up and down, showing everyone his permit. "I PASSED!"

"Look mom I passed!"

"I see. Nice job," Carrie smiled, giving him a high five. "And happy birthday!"

Reaching behind her, Carrie grabbed a small box wrapped up. His only present from his parents. "Mom, dad, can we go driving!?"

"Don't you want to open your present?"

"I can open it later, I want to drive."

"Adam," Harrison said stepping in front of him. "I think you might want to open this one."

He took the present from his mother's outstretched hand. The box was small, about the size of his hand. "Maybe it's a new phone," he said aloud.

Harrison and Carrie both exchanged a glance. It was a much bigger present. They watched with anxiety as he carefully unwrapped the box.

Adam almost dropped the box when he saw what was inside. Car keys. His own car keys! "What's this?" He asked, taking the keys out of the box. "You aren't playing tricks on me, or are you?"

He examined the keys, running his thumbs over the Subaru logo. "You're kidding."

"We're not kidding Adam."

He happily followed his parents out to the other garage and waited patiently as his dad opened the door. Adam couldn't believe his eyes when the garage door opened to reveal the blue beast.

Carrie stood next to Harrison, and for a minute, they both enjoyed their son's reaction. "This was a good buy," he whispered into her ear.

Adam was now walking around the blue car. "Is this new?"

"Brand new."

Hearing that, he ran back around the car and hugged his parents. "Thank you guys so much!"

"Happy birthday Adam."

This time, Harrison told Adam about the car. It was a Subaru CrossTrek. "Adam this thing gets great gas mileage."

"That's good."

"Your dad and I will pay for insurance and gas until you turn 16 and get your license. Then it's up to you to keep it running."

"Okay mom."

"That means you'll have to get a job."

He nodded. "I know. I want a job."

"Adam you want to take it for a spin?"

"Yeah dad."

Adam opened the drivers side door as Harrison got in the passenger seat and Carrie got in the back. Before he could start the car, Harrison put a hand on the key.

"Before you start it, know that driving is the biggest responsibility you're going to have at 15. You have to be a defensive driver. You never know what other people are going to do. So be careful okay?"

"I will dad. And I have you and mom to help me."

Once Adam could tell his dad what each button did and how to work the headlights and wipers they were ready to go. And he would have to admit, this little car was nice.