Chapter 34

"Mom!" He called. "Dad!"

Checking upstairs and the living room, Adam still couldn't find his parents. And he had to leave in five minutes to pick up Joanne.

"MOM!"

"WHAT!?" She screamed back. Her voice seemed like it was coming from downstairs.

Adam flew downstairs to find his parents, almost tripping down the stairs twice. "Whoa there bud," he heard his dad say once he regained his balance at the bottom of the stairs.

"I have to leave in five minutes!"

"Adam what did you need?" Carrie asked, stepping off the elliptical with sweat dripping down her face. Upon seeing him, she complemented him. "You look nice."

"Thanks mom."

Today was his first prom. And he was taking his girlfriend Joanne who he'd been dating for 3 months now. Truthfully, Carrie liked Joanne better than his other two previous girlfriends. She was a really nice girl for him.

He was wearing a black tux with a bow tie and a red boutonnière to match Joanne's dress. Once he straightened his bow tie and fixed his hair, he asked, "can I take your car to prom?"

"The Porsche?"

Adam nodded. "Sure go ahead. Just don't get it dirty," she teased.

He put his hands on his hips. "I just got it washed," she added.

"Mom I'm not going to get it dirty."

"I know Adam. Now go have fun."

He started up the stairs. "Oh, and before I leave, I should be home by eleven thirty."

"Okay. Go have fun Adam."

He ran back upstairs, almost tripping again at the top of the stairs. Harrison and Carrie simply looked at each other and laughed. "I think he's going to have a really good time with Joanne."

Harrison nodded an agreement. "He looks just like me when I was in high school. He's head over heels about her, just like I was for you."

"You were that crazy about me?"

He placed his hands on her hips. "I still am."

Then Harrison quickly kissed her before she could push him away. "Harry you smell," she said bluntly.

As Carrie tried to step back, he picked her up and kissed her. "Harrison!"

Once he placed her back on her feet, she playfully pushed him. "You wanna fight?"

"Let's go."

Carrie balled her fists, but was unable to hold back a grin. She playfully punched him in the stomach. He keeled over, acting like he was hurt, until she could hear his laughter. When he stood back up, he laughed even harder, seeing her shaking out her hand.

"Maybe that wasn't such a good idea huh?"

"Shut up," she teased.

He acted like he was going to take a swing at her, getting her to retreat towards the workout equipment they had in the basement. "Chicken," he said, taking a few steps towards her. "Come on, take a swing," Harrison encouraged.

She was hesitant. The last time he encouraged this, she gave him a bloody nose. "Come on sweetheart. Let's see what you got."

Carrie attempted to punch her husband, but he caught her wrist and twisted it. "Harry!"

He took a few steps towards her, still holding her wrist. Harrison attempted to kiss her, but she broke free of his grasp and pushed him back forcefully. Then she ran towards him and tackled him onto the padded floor.

"Whoa," he spoke in surprise, now laying on the floor under his wife.

"You told me to come at you."

He chuckled. "Yes I did."

•••

Along with Adam going to prom with his girlfriend Joanne, Harrison and Carrie were going to meet Emma's first boyfriend Jordan. Her parents were anxious to meet the boy she'd been spending a lot of time with at school.

"So what do you like about him?" Carrie asked her daughter as she stood next to her beside the counter.

"Mom!"

She raised an eyebrow. "Come on, tell me about him."

Emma leaned against the kitchen counter. "He loves baseball, just like I love softball. We have a few classes together, math, English and biology. He's really nice and he makes me happy."

"That's good Emma."

"I think you and dad will like him," Emma told her as she looked over her shoulder to see Harrison playing with Ben and Billie in the living room.

"Mom, before he gets here, what was it like for you... I don't know."

"Go ahead."

Emma sighed. "I don't know how to ask. Like, did dad make you really happy when you first met him?"

"He did."

"How did you meet him?"

Carrie leaned against the counter next to Emma. "I didn't meet him at school like you and Jordan did. I didn't even know we went to the same school until he asked me about it. But you know that smoothie shop that grandma owned for the longest time?"

She nodded. "I met him there after school one day. Then we just hit it off after that."

After Carrie said that, the doorbell rang. "Here he is."

She followed Emma to the front door. She opened it, revealing a tall boy with short brown hair. "Jordan this is my mom."

"Hello Mrs. Ford."

"Hello Jordan. It's nice to meet you. Now come on in."

He followed Emma inside to the living room where Harrison sat with her younger brother and sister. "This is my dad, Ben and Billie."

"Nice to meet you."

Carrie passed by in the living room, joining her husband and the other kids as Emma and Jordan made their way outside. On the living room floor, she could see Emma run out in the backyard, with two gloves and a softball.

"You got any baseballs?"

She threw the glove at him. "We're going to play with a softball for now."

For the next half hour, Carrie kept glancing out the window every few minutes to see what was going on. As it looked like they'd soon be done playing catch, she couldn't believe her eyes when she saw Jordan place his hands on her hips and kiss Emma.

Seeing that, she scooted closer to the window. As the kiss ended, Emma wrapped her arms around him. Carrie smiled when she saw the huge smile on her daughters face.