xli: whims

"what's happening?" zoe dared to ask. the drive across town to the hospital seemed even longer in the sad silence of the car.
    dan had his forehead pressed to the cool window of the passenger's door, and phil leaned forward from his place in the back seat to hear better.
    dan sighed heavily, his breath fogging up the glass in front of him. "he passed out. my mother found him half an hour ago, lying in a pool of his own sick. there was blood everywhere. they rushed him to the emergency room."
    phil cursed under his breath, which neither dan nor zoe had ever heard him do.
    "you okay?" zoe asked, glancing at him in the rearview mirror.
    "it just sucks, all of it. life. this cruel world. the whole freaking universe." he shook his head and sat back in his seat again. "i'm so tired of being pushed around by the wind, by 'destiny', or whatever."
    "then write your own destiny," zoe said simply. she took a deep breath and focused her eyes back on the road. "the fault, dear brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves, that we are underlings."
    her words fell heavy in the silence of the car, echoing in all of their minds until she spoke up again: "you have to take control of your own life. don't be a slave to the whims of the stars."
    no one mentioned that zoe herself needed to take this advice.