xxxii: a small eternity

"i'll go," lydia said bravely.

"oh, um, alright. whenever you're ready." mr. levine was caught off guard by her brazen valor, as was the rest of the club.

"i have an eating disorder," she said calmly. her hands sat in her lap, clutching at the hem of her soft pink dress. "my therapist decided that it would be a wise idea for me to join this club and find some people who may be struggling with real problems like me." then she cast her eyes sideways, resting them on james for the briefest of moments. a small smile tickled the edges of her lips, and her eyes held a new confidence when they returned to the faces of the group.

"i've been happier," she confessed, "and my therapist said my communication skills are strengthening. and..." her voice faltered, but james nodded at her encouragingly. she held her head high. "last weekend, i ate an entire sandwich." her face lit up in a proud smile.

the rest of the club couldn't help but smile right along with her.

"that's amazing, lydia!" mr. levine cheered.

she blushed before elbowing james. "now, you."

he grinned at her, then sighed and leaned forward in his creaky chair. he ran a hand through his chestnut brown hair unsteadily and focused his attention on the dusty chalkboard at the front of the room.

"my brother played football here a few years ago," he began. "he was a star. i've always grown up in his shadow, and naturally everyone assumed that i would have at least a scintilla of his talent." james laughed drily. "i didn't. and i didn't look as nice as him. and i played the piano."

he rolled his eyes, as if he could barely comprehend what he was saying. "there are few things the jocks at this school loathe more than any kind of art. or self-expression in general, really." his shoulders rose in an indifferent shrug. "so, i disappointed everyone, and suddenly found myself horribly alone. a poster for this club popped up in the boys' bathroom, i was desperate, and here i am."

"we're glad you're here," mr. levine commented. "is there anything else you'd like to share?"

"there is, actually." james stood on quivering legs and walked over to the rustic, well-worn piano in the corner of the room. he sat on the bench and brushed his fingers along the keys with a content smile on his face. then he began to play.

sparkling notes filled the air, rich and golden. suddenly the rest of the universe faded away and it was just them, united by music and a shared feeling of lostness. the few moments that james played were a small eternity.

when james lifted his fingers from the keys, the room broke out in riotous applause. everyone leaped out of their chairs with vivacious eyes and flushed cheeks. it was a fragment of existence in which they all felt undeniably alive, and it was incredible.

"thanks," james mumbled as he slid back into his seat beside lydia, his smile growing infinitely when she slipped her hand into his.

"that was splendid, james. keep up the good work," mr. levine said. then he motioned for them all to sit back down, and once they had, he fixed his eyes on dan and zoe.

"who's next?" 

a/n: i feel like everything i write for this story sucks lately :/ but i've been up since 5am and i am too tired to care 

please vote/comment/share and check out my other stories :) 

question of the day: how do you feel about school? do you enjoy it? is it just a cinder-block pit of suffering?  comment below!

i have a few friends (very few) but i hate the standards and establishment of the education system so school disgusts me :)   (also i somehow manage to embarrass myself every other day so)