Intermission

It wasn't the worst day I had ever been through but it was the most eye opening. I questioned my loyalty and my love all at once. It was as if my heart had been run over by a truck that was aiming directly at my chest. I couldn't think straight and my mind ran through every possible scenario, from arguments to emergencies.

I walked into Nikki's apartment and put my bags down next to the door. The sun was setting which gave the room an orange tint. I could hear the shower running in her room as I made my way down the narrow hall, closing in on her bedroom door. With every step I took her father's voice echoed in the back of my mind stabbing me in the heart with every syllable. It was almost as if the memory of my utter realization at that exact moment was haunting me. Was I ready for this life? The life of a married man?

As I slowly opened the room door, my head down deep in thought, I was greeted by Nikki. She was laying on her stomach across the side of the bed with her legs kicked up in the air swinging back and forth. She noticed as I entered and stood up, fully revealing her outfit of pink and black lace. Her stockings were a mesh black to match the sides of her lingerie and the shoes she wore were pink with bows. After observing her outfit my eyes instantly landed on her face, which held a smug smirk. She flipped her hair to the side out of instinct and it landed gracefully around her face. I looked her up and down a few more times before staring her directly in the eyes, the windows to her soul. They were full of beauty and mystery, a sort of hidden wonder of the future danced gracefully across her pupils. I couldn't bring myself to break contact with them, almost as if I was hypnotized by the unbroken walls I could see still built up in them. She hadn't even fully given herself to me and it only cast more doubt on my intentions.

"Like what you see?" She said placing her hands on her hips. "I started the shower for you so you can get nice and relaxed."

As I finished assessing the situation and broke from my trance I smiled and chuckled deeply in my throat. "I know what you're doing and it won't work."

She cocked her head to the side with a look of confusion plastered on her face. "What are you talking about?"

I moved towards the bathroom still laughing to myself as I grabbed some pajamas. "I'm not easily fooled."

I walked into the bathroom listening for her to respond in defeat, when under her breath she muttered, "What the fuck is he talking about?"

As I went to close the door I looked at her and her puzzled face and when I closed the door I face palmed myself. "Idiot." I moaned to myself.

I woke up early the next morning questioning myself as I prepared for my day of meetings. Looking over at her sleeping body as she lay still and quiet I felt a calm relief come over me. I couldn't understand why or how but I felt peaceful. I continued to dress, making sure to properly button my shirt and put on my tie. I could hear the soft moaning of the springs of the bed moving as Nikki stretched, waking herself from her slumber.

"Is it time for work already? Why didn't you wake me up?" She yawned out and extended her arms out with a small wince plastered on her face.

I went to put my socks and shoes on, turning to smile at her. "I'm going in an hour early and I didn't want you to miss any sleep."

She reached for her phone and checked the time with a squint at the brightness of the screen. 
"But it's 5 am and you usually have me come in to get papers ready for your meetings."

I placed the palm of my hand on her cheek and smiled lovingly at her. "Not today, OK? I want you to rest. Don't come in until 7. I promise I'll be fine" For a second I could see suspicion parade across her face before quickly changing into an affectionate grin.

"OK. Just make sure to have the right documents for each meeting." I kissed her forehead and began to get up from the bed. "And call me if you need anything, and I do mean anything."

I began to gather my things laughing internally at the insinuation she had just made. "Just be sure to call me if you need anything." I watched as she laid her head back onto her pillow facing me. "Love you."

"I love you too."

And with her sleepily spoken words I turned to start my day.

-Nikki POV-

I jolted up from the bed looking crazily around at my surroundings, my body was drenched from sweat. The air was cool as the beads of sweat ran down my back and onto the bed. The room was pitch black and I couldn't recognize anything in it. I got up from the bed realizing that I was naked and I searched for something to cover myself with. I could hear the faint sounds of a TV in the room just outside of the door. 

As I rummaged around I managed to find a light switch and with one swift motion I flicked it on. The bulb lit dimly in the dingy room illuminating the dirty beige walls as well as the bed I had been lying on. On the bedpost was a cotton robe that I quickly covered myself with. 

I was confused as I looked around the dusty old room. Last I remembered I had fallen asleep after watching Ryan leave for his meetings. Cautiously, I placed my ear to the door hoping to hear any familiar voices. There was no noise besides the barely audible sounds of the TV coming through. I fell to my knees and looked under the door, anticipating anything to be on the other side, when suddenly it began to open. I jumped back, heart pounding, combing the room for a weapon to protect myself with. I hid myself behind the side of the bed waiting for the unknown person to enter the room completely. 

"Nikki!!?? Where are you!?" I could hear Ryan calling out for me and although he sounded sincere I couldn't get over the uneasy feeling I had in my gut. "Please come out. I'm here to help you."

Guardedly, I began to stand up from my hiding place. I carefully walked out from where I was and eyed Ryan with mistrusting eyes.

"Nikki. My Nikki..... I came for you... just like I promised I would..... I'm so glad I found you..." His eyes began to swell with tears as he reached his hand out for me to take. 

I stood glued in place, unsure of his intentions or what exactly was going on. His face slowly morphed into a confused jumble of emotions.

"Nikki....It's me....please...we have to go before he gets back." 

He pleaded and urged for me to take his hand and, with my tense feeling still looming, I grabbed it. He pulled me into a tight embrace, trembling as he held me close.

"I'm so sorry Nikki. For everything....I'm so sorry."

Finally finding my voice I raised my head from his chest to look at him. "Sorry....for what?"

He he avoided my eyes as he stared forward, now showing no emotions as I struggled to move away from him. "I love you." He spoke out in a monotone voice as if he himself didn't mean or believe his words to be true.

"What are you......."

Before I could finish my sentence I felt a stinging pain run through my body. I looked down at my body seeing the wound in my chest where he had plunged the knife. I looked back up at him as he watched me stagger back and kneel on the floor. His cold gaze met my confused face and he knelled beside me.

"I had to. I couldn't let you leave."

Breathing was becoming more and more difficult as I slouched over placing one of my hands on the dirty floor. I looked up at him crying. Why....would.....you...." I gasped with every word before finally giving up on my question.

He placed the knife on my cheek, staining it red, as his blank stare filled me with terror. 

"You belong to me....not him. My Nikki...... My love.....MY NIKKI."

He raised the knife up in one swift motion and I watched as he began to swing it down toward my back............