Not Yourself

Ryan rushed toward Brandon and tackled him to the ground with a loud thud. I stood back watching in terror as the two of them fought. I felt completely paralyzed as Brandon climbed on top and began to hit him. Suddenly Randy and Kayla burst into the room. Randy ran up to them and threw a mean right hook at Brandon, hitting him in the jaw. He fell off of Ryan and grabbed his throbbing jaw. As Randy helped Ryan off of the floor security came running in to grab Brandon removing him from the room.

"What the fuck just happened?" Randy questioned.

Ryan heaved in and out with a dark and angry expression in his eyes as he stared at the door that Brandon was forced through. He stayed silent as Randy placed his hand on his shoulder.

"Ryan?...... This isn't good. I've seen him like this once before. Kayla, get Nikki home while I calm him down." Randy said.

As Kayla reached out to touch my arm Ryan spoke in a dark tone. "Don't touch her."

We all sat in silence watching him as he stared at me.

"Bro, for real, chill. She's ok. You need to calm down. Kayla is just taking her home." Randy explained.

"I'll take her home.... I'm fine Randy, really." He spoke again this time in his regular voice.

"Are you sure Ryan?" Kayla asked.

"Yeah. Come on Nikki. Let's go." He then put his hand on the small of my back and lead me out of the room.

We moved through the thinning crowd toward the door walking outside and to the car in complete silence. He opened the car door for me and I stepped in. I watched as he walked over to his side of the car and stood outside to further compose himself. After a minute of him just standing there he finally opened the door and got in.

The car ride home was silent as I replayed the earlier events in my head again and again. I started to feel everything, including the liquor, hit me all at once. Everything began to spin and I could hardly keep myself still. Ryan kept his eyes in the road, glancing over at me every now and again watching me squirm in my seat. He breathed out in frustration as we came to a stop at a red light. I looked over at him to see him rubbing his tired eyes. Suddenly he looked up and caught my gaze for a few seconds. I looked away in embarrassment as the light changed and he sped off.

He pulled into the driveway and turned the engine off. He got out of the car and came to my side to let me out. We went inside and I began to to break down in tears.

"Nikki?" He looked back at me while I cried. "Please stop. I can't stand to see you cry."

"I'm sorry, Mr. Lanton. I just really want to go home now."

"I know you do. But I need you to stay here with me. I need you to come with me and go to bed."

"I just want to go home. You don't need me here. You don't even like me. You just want one thing!"

"Nikki, you're really drunk, really tired, and you've been through a lot tonight. Let's just both go upstairs and go to bed."

"I don't want to sleep." I said stumbling forward in my heels, nearly falling.

Ryan caught me before I fell, helping me stand up. "Take your shoes off." He held me steady as I clumsily took them off. "Come on. Let's go upstairs."

As he guided me up the stairs I began to calm down. "Why'd you pick me to come here? There are soo many better looking women at the office back in Chicago. I mean you definitely could have had Kayla."

"I don't want them. I want you." We walked down the hallway toward our rooms.

"Yeah, but every guy I've ever dated only wanted one thing."

"I know, I know."

"I mean how do I know that's not why you brought me here?"

"It's not, trust me."

"But how do I know that."

"Look, we can talk about this when you sober up."

I stopped in front of my room wobbling as I wiggled my hand free from his grip. "Fine. Goodnight Mr. Lanton."

"For the love of everything stop calling me that!...... Just...... just call me Ryan."

"O.K.! Goodnight Ryan."

"You're not sleeping in there you're sleeping in my room tonight."

"Why?"

"Because if you don't you'll just sit up all night thinking about what happened and crying. You need some rest."

"Are you sure?" My voice was almost child-like as I spoke.

"Come on."

We moved down the hall to his room and he walked in holding the door open for me. I went in and looked around. It barely had any colors besides black white and grey, almost as if the person living here had a bleak and boring lifestyle.

"You know, Ryan, I think I know why you wanted me to sleep in here."

"Oh, and why is that?" He said coming in and closing the door.

I walked over to him and put my arms around his neck. I placed small sensual kisses on his lips, while moving him toward the bed. I tried hard to get him to lay on the bed but he wouldn't budge.

He pried my arms away and looked into my eyes. "I won't do this, not right now, not while your like this. This isn't you Nikki. Please just lay down and go to bed."

-Ryan P.O.V

She put her arms back around my neck and placed more kisses on my lips slowly. I felt myself  beginning to cave in but I had to fight the urge. This isn't the Nikki I know and I couldn't take advantage of her while she was like this.

I grabbed her arms removing them from around my neck once again. "Please Nikki." I laid her down on the bed and sat in a chair next to the bed. "You don't really want this right now. You don't need this right now."

She looked at me with sad and hurt eyes, it was a look that nearly broke my heart. She then turned and crawled to the middle of the bed, getting under the blanket, and turned away from me. I shifted in my seat as I listened to her silent crying sniffs. I removed my jacket and tie then undid the top button on my shirt. I sat back in the chair and watched Nikki as she drifted off into a deep sleep. I began to nod off myself until my phone rang. I turned the screen on to reveal a message from an unknown number.

I'm coming for you Ryan. You and your girl. Watch your back, I know your every move. I won't stop until you are dead.

-unknown

I knew it could only be one person.