Waiting Ch. 2

Chapter Two

This was real, and right now I was a mess, and in front of Mason. I was wrong, things could ruin my day, and the day was getting worse. I pulled away from Mason, and turned my head away so he couldn't see me. "I...I have to go the hospital," I stuttered, walking away without saying anything to him. I walked up to Janice, and asked, "Can I borrow your phone?"

"Of course," She told me, but she had this look on her saying something like, 'Who would you call?' I took her cell phone, and dialed a number known by heart.

"Heeelllllooooo?" Said a voice.

"Kristi? Can you come drive me to the hospital," I whispered, new tears spilling onto my face, "Please?"

"T? Is that you?" She asked in a worried tone.

"Yes," I answered, "Please, I'm at my house. I'll explain when get here. Please, just come get me."

"I'll be there in two minutes." She told me in a firm voice, and she was there in two minutes. "What's going on?" She yelled over the crowd, "Taylor? Taylor, what happened?"

"There was a fire," I cried, "I was on a run, and there was a fire. Please drive me to the emergency room, I have to see them."

"Of course," She whispered, putting her arm around me, and holding me tight. We walked past all the firemen who were finishing the fire off. Mason was helping bring out more hoses, and giving off more water.

I stopped right behind him, and muttered, "Thanks." I didn't need to explain, but I knew he understood. He look from me to Kristi, and then back to me with a nod.

Kristi led me to her car, and I climbed into the passenger seat. She didn't talk to me the whole way there, which I was grateful for. Anyone else would have been poking me with questions, but not her, she knew when I didn't want to talk about things, and this was one of them.

Kris had short brown hair that went a little lower then her chin. She had her bangs pulled into a clip, and some of her hair tucked behind her ear. She had scattered freckles on her nose, and light blue eyes. I just sat there, and stared at her. She knew I was looking at her too, but still she didn't ask questions.

We pulled into the hospital, and I rushed in before the car was even in park. I asked about them, but they told me they couldn't tell me anything yet. So Kristi and I sat there, in the waiting room, and waited for hours. Finally a nurse came up to me, and said, "Are you Lexie Gold's sister?" I nodded, numb. "She's alright, we'll probably keep her in here for a night or two just to make sure," The nurse told me, "But you can go visit her if you'd like."

"And the rest of my family?" I asked in a small voice.

"They're in intensive care, but we'll let you know," The nurse whispered, "You're sister is on the third floor room 212." She left then, and I looked over at Kristi. She just shrugged, and together we walked upstairs. I didn't want Kristi to be in the room when I saw my sister, but I didn't want her to leave either. I knocked on Lexie's door first, but entered without her response.

"Lex," I whispered, and sat down in the chair next to her bed. Lexie looked bad, but not as bad as I thought. Her close were burnt, and her skin was a little burnt. Her cherry red hair looked almost brown and was crispy. Her emerald green eyes were filled with tears.

"Tay Tay," She cried, "I hurt."

"I know baby," I cooed, "But you'll be alright, your big sister will keep you safe."

"And Mommy and Daddy?" She asked, "And Ethan?"

"I don't know Lexie," I whispered, "I'll try my best."