𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍

CHAPTER FOURTEEN | NO EXIT 

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

EVELYN STARED BLANKLY UP AT THE CEILING AS SHE LAID IN BED AT THE SALVATORE HOUSE. She returned back there after Stefan saw the state she was in right after Damon decided to leave, but she refused to sleep in the room she once called her bedroom. It reminded her too much of Damon and felt wrong without him beside her. Instead, she took up residence in one of the many spare rooms that were dotted around the large house. The vampire heard voices from downstairs, she groaned and pulled herself from the bed, and sped herself down the staircase.

"You were right. He's off the rails, and this is from my mom." The blonde vampire walked inside the house and, handed Stefan a folder. As she handed Stefan the case file, Evelyn stepped into view.

"Let me guess, missing persons and animal attacks?" Stefan raised an eyebrow and guessed the contents of the file before he even opened it.

"Okay, is someone going to explain what's going on, please?" The Austin vampire raised an eyebrow and glanced between Stefan and Caroline with a look of confusion on her face.

"I asked Caroline to track down Damon." Stefan shrugged back.

"Wait, hold up. You did what?" Evelyn lifted her hand up in complete and utter shock as her eyes widened. "So, when I suggested looking for him, you ignored me. But, now you're looking for him like some kind of supernatural CSI? God, you're ridiculous"

"Yes, that was until I heard that there were dozens of victims, all with their skin desiccated, and their heads missing." Stefan deadpanned with his eyes narrowed toward the brunette. "Damon's feeding on vampires."

The three vampires wandered around the room. Evelyn panicked and blamed herself for what he was currently going through, as did Stefan as he flicked through the folder of evidence of his victims while Caroline remained level headed.

"I shouldn't have let him go," Stefan concluded after a moment of staring at the crime reports.

"God, If I had just begged him to stay, then maybe— maybe it would've triggered something." Evelyn took a deep breath as she rubbed her forehead with her hand. "God. Why the hell did I have to go and be stubborn about it. I'm such an idiot."

"No. Uh-uh, no. Neither of you are turning Damon's roosting chickens into a guilt trip. No one could've stopped him going after Wes the other night." Caroline looked between the two vampires and then dropped her eyes to Evelyn. "Not even you, Eve."

The Salvatore hummed softly in an attempt to make sense of the situation. "I guess Wes must've injected him with whatever he was gonna give Evelyn and Elena that makes vampires feed on vampires."

"Good news, bad news— bad news is when this happened to Jesse, we had to kill him. But, the good news is—" Caroline paused. "—Uh, I'm sorry. Usually, there's some good news."