Chapter 5 Carter

Ο Διακυρίττεσθαι  Άντεξελαύνω Νύξ

Carter

Sadie and I had decided it was time to visit the First Nome and consult with Zia about the prophecy mentioned in my dream. We were headed towards the limestone artifact, which was on display in the courtyard of Sadie’s school, The Brooklyn Academy for the Gifted. This would open a portal to travel there when Sadie said, “I don’t understand why we have to visit Zia. It’s not like she knows more about the other gods any more than we do, and she is so far away we’ll be drained of our powers by noon!”

I stopped walking and glared at her. Sadie could be so stupid at times. I tried to calm myself down before saying, “You know Zia is good at figuring this type of stuff out. Besides it’s not her fault she had to go to the First Nome to have a meeting with Amos.”

Sadie stomped her foot and shouted at me. “You only want to ask her because she’s your girlfriend. You can’t even last one bloody day without talking about her! Zia this! Zia that! Zia, Zia, Zia! I’m sick of it Carter! If I hear her blasted name one more time I’ll go mad. You’re always too busy with her to even notice when I need you. I don’t see you for years and when we finally get to see each you act like you don’t want to even see me. It was fine for the first month but it has been over a year and you still are trying to ignore me!”

“I’m not ignoring you. I’ve just been so busy…” but before I could finish she cut me off.

“Being the almighty pharaoh of the gods! I know Carter but you don’t have to be so… so… ugh!” She stormed off down the street and I quickly followed.

“Wow Sadie, you are being so immature!” I yelled at her. All of our yelling was starting to draw the attention of the people walking by on the street, which is saying something in Brooklyn.

A tall pale man grabbed my arm tightly jerking me away from Sadie. “Is this boy bothering you Miss?” he asked with a look of disgust on his face. I pulled my arm out of his grip and backed away from him.

Sadie rolled her eyes at the man and said, “No, he’s my brother of coarse he’s going to be a pest.”

The man looked at both of us confused. You don’t know how much I hate when people look at us like we’re crazy when we say we’re siblings because I have darker skin then her. Sadie turned around and continued to walk down the street has she said, “Get lost old man it’s none of your business.”

I ran to catch up with her leaving the man standing there in complete shook about how Sadie had talked to him. We turned down an empty alley for a short cut to get to Sadie’s school. I couldn’t believe how childish she was acting. I don’t talk about Zia that much, do I?

When we were half way done the creepy dark alley there was a loud BANG behind us and we quickly turned around to see what had caused it. There was nothing there but a tipped over garbage can and a few rats scurrying on the ground.

“What was that?” Sadie asked terrified.