Chapter 11 Sadie

Here is the next chapter enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  Ο Διακυρίττεσθαι Άντεξελαύνω Νύξ 

Sadie 

I did not sleep that night. It wasn't that I was uncomfortable, I was plenty comfortable with the soft blankets on my bed (seriously these things are soft). It was the images of what had happened to Leo and Carter on instant replay in my brain. The cruel smile that spread across Momus' face when Carter had impaled him with his khopesh haunted me. One would think that I would get used to things like this since they occur so often, but I don't. Nothing can cause this to be normal. You can't prepare your mind to be able to deal with such things like that. Not only was this bothering me, I was also thinking about what Chiron had told me I needed to do while on the quest. One quest is not enough for me apparently because I immediately get assigned a side quest. I hear quiet knocking on my door.

"Hey are you still awake?" I hear Hazel's voice whisper quietly from outside my door. I get up from my bed and walk over to open the door to let her in. When I open the door Hazel reaches out her hand with a chocolate bar in it. "Want a late night snack?"

"You are one strange girl," I say taking the bar from her, and biting into it. The taste of milk chocolate in my mouth soothing my nerves.

"Hey chocolate makes everything better. More importantly are you okay. You seemed pretty shaken up early, and I don't blame you either. That was pretty horrific." Hazel says all of this with concern filling her face. I'm in shock for a moment. I only knew her for a few hours and she was already acting as if she had known me for years.

"No, I'm not okay." I'm surprised that I actually admitted it to another person. I don't like appearing weak to others, so I usually keep things like this to myself. "I wish I could have done something. I felt worthless watching Carter and Leo. I wanted to make the pain stop so badly. I feel like I failed them."

"You didn't fail anyone, Sadie. You did all you could." Hazel gives me a hug. I could use one right now.

"I understand why he attacked Carter, I mean he did just stab him through the stomach, but why target Leo instead of anyone else on the ship? I mean yeah he was standing guard, but so was I. Why not choose me instead. Not that I wanted it to be me or anything, I just want to understand Momus' choices," I say, my head spinning.

"Well, taken that he is a god, who really knows. They can be pretty random at times, but since he is the god of mockery I might be able to make sense of this. What do all bullies have in common?" she asked waiting for me to reply.

"They're all assholes," I scoff.

"Aside from that," Hazel says.

"They only pick on people they think they can get to."

"Exactly. Why would you try to degrade someone if you know you will lose? Momus knew he would have a harder time getting to you. I mean you just send of an aura of I don't care what you say. He would have a much easier time getting to Leo." Hazel's face tells me everything. Don't ask me about Leo. If you want to know ask him yourself.

"I guess that does make sense." I'm trying my best to not ask.

"I should go. I need to talk to Jason." She walks out my door, but stops and turns around. "Oh and Walt said that if you ever need anything that he's there for you." She then leaves, shutting the door behind her.

I wait for a few minutes to pass before I quietly open my door and exit my room. I have to find out what's up with Leo (I know I'm so nosey). I walk out to realize it's not night any more. The hallway is lit up and I can smell breakfast coming from the mess hall. As tempted as I am to walk into the mess hall and just eat Biscuits and gravy and forget any of the events from last night occurred, I need to talk to Leo first.