Chapter 10 - Burch

"Madelyn, wait!"

Marry me.

The words rang in her ears, her whole world spinning.

Marry me.

She was already in the elevator when he ran to the main room. The doors closed as he tried to catch up to her. He banged his fist on the elevator doors, clenching his teeth together. "What did you just do?" He whispered to himself.

Madelyn heard the bang, her heart racing as she ran out of the building. Her breathing was heavy and she was still weak from all of the radiation. She leaned against the brick wall of the building. Her hand clutched to her chest, she whispered to herself, "What did you just do?"

"What did you do?" Scarlet appeared in front of Madelyn. She noticed how worn down and confused Madelyn looked. "You look half dead."

She cringed slightly. I am practically half dead, she thought to herself. Madelyn stared at Scarlet for a moment, a thought coming to her. "Can I bunk with you for the night? I don't have anywhere to stay." She certainly couldn't stay with Christian. Not now.

Scarlet looked up at the building before looking back at Madelyn. "Of course, sweetheart. Come on." She smiled, wrapping her arm around Madelyn's shoulders and walking with her down the street. By the time they had gotten to Scarlet's apartment, Madelyn had told Scarlet everything about the past few months.

Scarlet walked Madelyn to the couch. As Madelyn sat down, Scarlet took her coat and hung it up by the door. "Why didn't you just tell him?" She turned back to Madelyn. "He's been really broken up, Mads. He thought you didn't love him anymore."

"Maybe I don't." Madelyn's eyes averted to the ground. She wasn't sure if she really did. After everything they had been through in such a short amount of time- Maybe she did love him. Or maybe she loved someone else.

When she looked up, Scarlet had her eyes narrowed and her arms crossed over her chest. "You're kidding me, right?" Madelyn shook her head. A small tear slipped from her eye and she wiped it away with the back of her hand. She began to rapidly blink to try and stop the tears. Scarlet walked over to her and sat next to her. "Mads, what's going on?"

Madelyn put her head in her hands. She wasn't even sure what she felt for anyone, anymore. Everything was just so confusing. But if she was going to confide in anyone and try to figure out her feelings, Scarlet would be the person to do it with. "It's Alex," she mumbled as she pinched her bottom lip between her thumb and pointer finger.

Scarlet's eyes bulged, slightly. She allowed a small smile to peak on her lips. "The Burch guy? The one that works for Grey?"

Madelyn nodded, an image of him popping into her mind. After all the time they spent together while Madelyn was in the hospital, Madelyn had begun to develop feelings for the man. He was there through all of the shit she had to go through in the hospital. He had been there every single day, giving her updates on Christian and everything that was going on in the world while she was stuck in that bland, overly white room. He'd gotten so close to her. She never realized just how close until about a week before she left.

He had come to see her and she was throwing up from the chemo. He instantly dropped everything and ran to her side, holding her hair back for her and rubbing her back in a soothing way. He began to try to calm her down by simply talking to her. She zoned out at first, but once she heard what he was saying, she couldn't help but let her heart race.

"You're amazing," he began. "To be able to go through all of this, all of these hard trials and still be standing strong and tall? And looking amazing, while you do it, by the way." He paused for a moment as she tried to catch her breath, waiting to sit up until she knew she wasn't going to hurl anymore. "I don't understand how anyone could not love you. You're a warrior, Madelyn Young. You've always been a warrior. You're the strongest person I know."

Madelyn shook the thought from her head. She turned to look at Scarlet, smiling sadly. "I have feelings for him. Maybe it's because he was there for me while I was in the hospital. Maybe if I had told Christian I was there and he had been there for me, I wouldn't have feelings for Alex at all." She shook her head, Christian's words ringing in her ears, again. Marry me. She quickly closed her eyes. "I messed everything up." Her voice wavered.

Scarlet grabbed a blanket off of the back of the couch and draped it around Madelyn's shoulders. "Get some rest. We can figure out what to do in the morning." Madelyn nodded, watching as Scarlet turned out the lights and headed to her room. After about a half an hour, Madelyn snuck out to go see Alex. Little did she know that Scarlet was sneaking out, too- Only she was going to see Christian. Like she had been every night for the last few months.

~

The banging on the front door could have woken the whole neighborhood up. It was incessant and it sounded as if it were urgent. Having jumped out of bed in only his sweats, Alex took a few minutes and a few more knocks before he answered the door. He made an odd sound when he saw Madelyn. It was a sound of delight and shock, yet horror all at once. "What are you doing here in the middle of the night? You're going to get yourself sick." He brushed his hand along her arm, about to pull her in, but she flinched away from his touch. The expression on his face in that moment would have broken even the darkest of hearts.

"I needed to see you. At least I thought I did." Her voice faltered as she stared at him. She could tell she had feelings for him, but she couldn't be sure until she acted on it. But why was she so afraid? Why didn't she want to act on it? Was it because she was in love with Christian? Or because she was afraid she might be in love with Alex?

Alex moved out of the door way and raised an eyebrow at her in question. "Do you at least want to come in until you decide why you're really here?" He ran a hand through his dark hair.

Before Madelyn even knew what she was doing, she looped her pointer fingers into his sweatpants, and pulled his body against her own. His breath hitched as he looked down at her, his arms lay at his sides. He was unsure if he should move. He slowly opened his mouth to speak. "What are you doing?"

Her eyes were focused on his chest, admiring the small galaxy of birthmarks on his skin until he spoke up. She smiled endearingly at him. "Acting on it." Reaching up and wrapping her arms around his neck, she leaned in close to him. Her lips parted. "Now, it's your turn to make a move," she whispered under her breath.

A smile inched onto his face, causing their lips to graze for just a moment. "Are you sure you're ready?" She nodded. "Because I don't want to be the guy that took advantage of the sick girl who is in love with the billionaire that just broke her heart after-"

"Alex."

He stopped. "Hmm?"

She sighed, longingly, the endearing smile still pressed to her lips. "Just kiss me."

"Right." He waited a few seconds before slowly wrapping his arms around her, dipping her, and softly pressing his lips to hers. The moment was small, but just big enough for both of them to realize their feelings they did have for each other.

~

Author Note:
Hello, everyone!!! I am so, so, so sorry I have taken so long to update this story!! I have had a lot of complications happening in my life in the last year or so. Medical complications, moving, family complications, and finishing two years of high school in one year. It's been insane!
But without further ado, here is the next chapter!! Within the next week (hopefully sooner) I am going to try and put up the last five chapters along with the epilogue.
Again, I am so sorry for taking so long; I cannot put into words how sorry I am.
I do want to thank every single one of you who has still read this story and stuck with me even though I disappeared for a while. I promise, that won't be happening anymore. I may be busy, but I will find time to be on here and give you all the updates you deserve!
Lots and lots of love,

Scarlet Rose Silas