Chapter 5 - Goodbye

The rest of the night, Madelyn avoided Christian at all costs. She stayed in her room except when they ate dinner. Annie knew something was wrong, but was smart enough to not say anything. She could tell that Madelyn was angry, but Christian almost seemed sad. By the end of the night, each of them went into their rooms. No one said goodnight, no one hugged or talked about tomorrow. Annie was worried, but there was nothing she could do. She was just a fifteen year old girl trying to put her life together. She couldn't help them get their shit together and put herself together, too.
Annie woke the next morning to the smell of McDonald's. She ran out of her room to see Christian in the kitchen with enough McDonald's food to feed a whole school of people. "What's this?" She asked as she grabbed a coffee.
"Your birthday breakfast. Taylor said you love McDonald's." He walked over to the fridge and carefully opened it, grabbing the orange juice. He didn't want her to see the cake, yet. He turned to her. She had a huge grin on her face and her eyes were bright. "I have a present for you, but first we need to get Madelyn up. Where would you like to have lunch today? Preferably somewhere we can pick it up and bring it here."
"Pizza!" She stuffed a hash brown in her mouth, a hopeful smile on her face. "With ranch."
He scrunched up his nose. "That sounds disgusting." He poured some orange juice for himself and put it back in the fridge. "But," He smiled at her. "Anything for you."
She squealed and scrambled over to the counter to hug onto him. His breath caught in his throat, still not used to anyone touching him. She pulled back, ungracefully falling off the counter. "Thank you, Mr. Grey."
"Please, call me Christian. You don't have to be so formal with me." Madelyn walked out of her room, already dressed and carrying her purse. He smiled over at her. "Good morning, Madelyn."
Madelyn kept her head down as she sat next to Annie and grabbed one of the coffees. She took a sip and smiled at Annie. "Happy Birthday, Miss Annie."
Annie smiled back. "Thank you, Maddie."
Christian walked over to the fridge. "Okay, now that she is here, I want to give you your present. I can't wait any longer." He grabbed the cake out of the fridge and set in on the counter. Her face beamed and he put his hand up before she could say anything. "Hold on," He reached across the counter and grabbed some papers from underneath a magazine. He held up one of the papers, showing it to her. "This is your emancipation papers. You are officially your own person, now." Annie squirmed, trying to hold in her excitement. Madelyn smiled. He was so sweet, but the word playroom echoed in the back of her mind. He held up the other paper, unfolding it. "I talked to your adopted parents and they told me you already finished school. They also told me you are into art and filming. So, I did some research and I found that Southern California University is the best film school in America." He walked around the counter, so he was standing in front of her. "You got accepted, on a scholarship. And," He held the letter from the school up to her. "Early admittance. We can take you tomorrow."
Annie shook with excitement. "What about living arrangements and stuff? Will I stay here?"
He shook his head. "You have a dorm. You won't have a roommate unless you ask for one. I will send you money every month to make sure you have food, clothes, everything you need. Plus, a little extra money for fun. But you have to promise that when you become a a big time film maker that you will still remember me and Madelyn."
Annie squealed as she jumped up and wrapped her arms around him. "I can not thank you enough." She started crying as she pulled away. "When can we go?"
"Whenever you are ready, kiddo." He wiped away a tear rolling down her cheek.
"Can we go after we have lunch? I'm too excited." She grabbed her coffee and took another sip, as if she needed more energy.
Madelyn interjected, before Christian could say another word. "I think that sounds like a great idea, Annie."
Christian stared at her for a moment. He couldn't tell if her letting Annie leave already was good or bad for him. When Annie ran off to her room to get ready, he sat next to Madelyn. "Are you going to talk to me ever, again?"
She looked at him, her expression blank. "Of course I am. I can't walk out of here without telling you I am leaving, now, can I?"
He blinked, taken aback at that words that escaped her mouth. "Y-You're what?"
Madelyn swallowed hard. She had never heard him stutter and she honestly didn't think he would care that she was leaving. "I'm leaving."
He stared down at the counter. He didn't want her to see the hurt in his eyes. "Are you scared of me? Is that why you're leaving?"
"I can't give you what you want. I refuse to ever go in that room, again and I know you would like me to be part of that. I'm not stupid." She stood, taking another sip of her coffee.
"Maybe I would like you to try, but I would never force you into anything." She started to walk away and he grabbed her hand, making her turn back to face him. "I don't want you to leave."
Her face was stern. Why are you making this harder than it has to be? "And I don't want to leave. I happen to like you, Christian Grey. A lot, actually. And I need this place. I need that job." She wiped away the tear that escaped her eye. "I need you. But this is too much. It's either me or the room, Christian."
He put his hand on her cheek, stroking it with his thumb. He hoped the familiar touch would help change her mind. "Please..." He trailed off,  his voice cracking slightly.
She put her hand on his. "Just let me go." She removed his hand and walked into her room. She quickly closed the door as she sunk to the ground. She had never had someone like she has Christian, but she couldn't give him what he wanted. She threw her head against the door, trying to get herself to stop crying. She was stronger than this. She didn't need Christian Grey just a few days ago. She'll be alright without him, now.
Christian walked up to her door, knocking lightly. "Maddie? Please let me in." When she didn't respond, he leaned against the door, tapping his finger on it. "I didn't grow up right. Not like any normal kid, anyway. And I know it's no excuse for the way I act sometimes, but I'm trying. I-" He paused, closing his eyes. He never opened himself up to anyone. Madelyn made him want to open up, but he was unfamiliar with the whole concept of opening up. "I grew up with a mother that didn't know how to take care of me and father that only abused me and my mother. Then, I was adopted, but my memories still haunted me. I was unstable. The woman that helped me, this was her way of life. The red room is all I have known since I was young. But- You make me different. The red room doesn't matter like it used to. All I want is you and that's an unfamiliar feeling to me. I don't understand it, yet. But I will never understand it if you just leave."
Madelyn opened the door and stared at him for a moment. His face was red, his eyes still. "I've seen the bad side to you. Well, part of it. I'm scared that it's worse than what I've encountered. I can't just sit around and wait for you to break, wait for you to tie me up and drag me to that room and do whatever it is you do in there."
He put his hands on her shoulders, his eyes pleading. "I would never do anything that would hurt you."
"I don't know that, because I don't know you. I thought I was starting to understand you. I knew you were a kind, caring, generous and loving person. But I also knew you were broken inside. Then I found your room. And suddenly everything I knew about you was clouded, nothing made sense. And now I stand before you and I want to know you, I want to hug you and kiss you and just be here with you. But I can't."
He closed his eyes as a tear slipped from his eye. "I'll show you who I am, who you have formed me into. I am different with you. Good different."
She put her hand on his cheek, wiping away the rolling tear as he opened his eyes to stare down at her. "Maybe you are." One side of her mouth lifted into a half smile. "You are my knight in shining armor, Christian Grey. You are a white knight with a bright light inside of you. You are full of love and everything I am looking for. But then there's the dark knight. Waiting until I am vulnerable to take advantage. And you may not see it that way, but trust me- I know he's standing there waiting, following you like a shadow and watching me, hoping I'll do something he doesn't' approve of, so he can deliver his punishment. And I can't be here when he snaps." She removed her hand. "So, today we will act normal. We will watch Annie leave and say our goodbyes, we will act like we are fine. But once she is gone, I am, too."
He nodded, unable to say anything. Annie came running out of the room. "Are you guys ready, because I am more than ready."
Madelyn smiled and ran over to her, grabbing her hand. "Let's go." Christian followed, trying to think of a way to get her to stay. He couldn't just let Madelyn leave.

~

Annie started to sob as she hugged Madelyn. "I can't believe this is goodbye, already."
Madelyn started to cry, too. "Promise you'll visit?"
"And Skype," Annie laughed. "We have to Skype." She pulled away and looked at Christian. "All of us."
Christian did his best to smile, grabbing Annie and hugging her. "I will make sure you are with us for holidays."
Annie laughed through her tears. "Oh, god, Christmas with Christian Grey."
He kissed her hair. "I'll try not to spoil you too much." 
"No, it's okay. I don't mind the spoiling."
"Alright, you two," Madelyn chimed in. "It's getting late and we have to get back to Seattle, still."
Annie nodded, hugging both of them one last time. "Thank you, again, Christian."
He nodded. "I just want you to get a chance at having a life." He glanced over at Madelyn. His words were for both of them.

~

When they got back to Christian's place, Madelyn went to walk straight to her room.
"Wait..."
Madelyn turned to Christian. "I told you already. I'm leaving. I can't stay here."
"Just stay tonight, please. Just stay one last night."
She bit her lip. This wasn't a good idea, but it was what she wanted, too. "I have to run downtown, first, but fine." He walked over to her, a hint of a smile on his face. He bent down to kiss her and she turned away. "Don't."
"Why not?"
She put her hand on his chest and he impulsively grabbed her wrist, holding her hand away from him. "That's why," She stated, sternly. "If you'll excuse me, I have some things to do before I leave tomorrow."
She walked out the door and as Christian watched her leave, he felt a tug in his chest. He couldn't watch her walk out that door, again, knowing it would be the last time he ever saw her. He had to fix this.