Chapter 8 - The Parents

"It's so nice to finally meet you!" Mrs. Grey wrapped her arms tightly around Madelyn.

Christian smiled, grabbing his mother's arm and pulling her from Madelyn. "Let her breathe, mother."

Mrs. Grey pulled away, putting both of her hands on Madelyn's cheeks. "I've just heard so much about you."

Madelyn turned her head towards Christian, his mothers hands still on Madelyn's cheeks. "You've told her about me?"

He took Madelyn's coat from her and hung it in the closet by the front door. "You're my first real girlfriend. Of course I told her about you."

His mother removed her hands, grabbing Madelyn's arm and pulling her out to the living room. "So, you must tell us more about this Annie. We know so little about our only grandchild!"

Madelyn smiled, watching as Christian walked gracefully into the room, sitting beside her. "Well, she was in the homeless shelter I had lived in for almost 4 years."

Mrs. Grey gasped. "Oh, you poor thing. I'm glad my Christian found you and took you two in. Where is Annie?"

Christian interjected. "Mother, I told you. She lives at the college. I told you about the script she was writing."

His mother nodded, taking a sip of the tea sitting in front of her. "Ahh, yes. The script." She set the tea down, her expression almost of annoyance. "Well, shall we get to dinner, now? Alex!"

A man who looked to be about thirty walked in. He wore a suit similar to Christian's and his black hair was ruffled in a mess, but it looked formal on him. He smiled and glanced at Madelyn for a moment before turning to Mrs. Grey. "You called, Mrs. Grey?"

"Ah, yes. Alex. We are ready to have dinner, now."

He nodded politely. "The table is ready for you. I will send the chef to bring the food." He smiled at Christian. "Christian. It's nice to see you, again."

Christian stood, pulling Madelyn to her feet. "And you as well, Alex." Alex smiled sweetly and turned on his heel, heading back to the kitchen. Christian followed, dragging Madelyn at his side as he leaned down to whisper in her ear. "You're mine. Don't forget that," he growled. "Do I need to remind you that you belong to me and no one else?"

Madelyn pulled her arm from his grip, stopping to glare at him. "You need to chill with the 'property' thing," she spat, putting air quotes around the word 'property'. "I belong to no one but myself and if you don't knock that shit off, I won't be around you much longer."

"I'm sorry," He brushed his thumb along her lip, knowing what it does to her. "I just get jealous easily and I saw the way he was looking at you."

"Did you see the way I was looking at him? Because it wasn't the way he was looking at me." She grabbed his hand, letting it drop. "You're grounded."

His eyebrows shot up. "I'm what?"

"Grounded. You can't touch me for 24 hours." She walked away, feeling his eyes on her as she made her way to the dining room.

~

"So, Christian, how is the business going?" Mr. Grey took a drink from the glass in front of him, staring across the table at Christian.

Christian nodded, smiling at his father. "It's been going well. Thank you for asking."

"So, did you two set a date, yet?"

Madelyn jumped at the question, hitting her elbow on the table. "Sorry, what did you just say?"

Christian stood, buttoning his suit jacket. "Dad, may I speak with you in the kitchen, please?"

Before Christian and his dad could even walk away, Madelyn was up and running to the bathroom. She quickly shut the door behind her, suddenly feeling sick to her stomach. She sunk to the floor. "Breathe. You're fine, just breathe."

There was a small knock on the door. "Miss Young?" She recognized the voice as the man from earlier.

"I'm fine, Alex. Tell them I'll be out in a minute."

Alex opened the door, seeing her face pale, her body hunched over. "You don't look fine, Miss Young."

Madelyn shook her head. "I'm fine." She tried to give him a fake smile, but ended up gripping the toilet and throwing up instead. Alex grabbed her hair and held it away from her face. He rubbed her back with his other hand, sighing. "I told you you weren't fine."

She coughed, groaning. "I don't understand why I'm getting sick."

"Maybe it's nerves? That happens to my ex."

"I don't know." She sat back, leaning against him. "I feel hot. Am I hot?"

He laughed, brushing hair out of her face. "You're not hot. You're beautiful."

Madelyn, pouted, stomping her feet. "No, I meant my forehead. I think I have a fever."

Alex put the back of his hand to her forehead. "Wow, you're really warm." Madelyn sat up and threw her head into the toilet, throwing up, again.

She put her head on the toilet, wiping her mouth with the back of her hand. "I don't think I'm feeling very well."

Alex stood up, picking Madelyn up and carrying her out to the main room where Christian and his parents now were. Alex stood with Madelyn in his arms, her hands wrapped around his neck. "I think she needs to be taken to the hospital."

Christian quickly stood up and took Madelyn from Alex. Madelyn nuzzled her face into his chest. "Christian?"

"Yeah?" He started towards the door, his mother opening it for them.

"I'm sorry I don't feel good."

Christian walked out of the house, not bothering to say goodbye. Taylor opened the car door for them and Christian climbed in, holding her on his lap. "Get us to the nearest hospital. Now."

Madelyn closed her eyes tightly, Taylor speeding to the hospital. "It hurts."

Christian put his hand on her cheek, his whole being washing over with worry. "What hurts?"

She moved one of her hands from his neck and put it to her stomach. "I can't take the pain, Christian."

She began crying as Christian held her tighter to him. The pain grew worse with every passing minute, as did Christian's worry that something might be seriously wrong.