Chapter - 5 - Abandoned Pursuit

Start from the beginning

   My brother stopped in his tracks, forcing me to slow to a halt also. "Care to place a wager?" The curve of his lips pulled up to a smirk, challenging me.

   "Kili, no-"

   "Teryn!" He yelled over my shoulder with such strength. My heart rate quickened to a half-second blur, followed by a spread of annoyance to direct itself towards the male dwarve I have grown up with.

   A roll of the eyes fell from my expression. "There's a good chance you will be dead by morning," I jokingly threatened as I pivoted around to find Teryn facing us from no more than fifty steps away.

   Awkward silence once again filled the air, something Teryn seemed to harbor in abundance, but I noticed a lift of her brows in questioning to her name being beckoned.

   A deep breath filled my lungs after Kili slapped my shoulder with a cheeky and victoriously gloating grin winded across his facial features. "We were hoping you would accompany us on our short journey, that is if you would want to." All that my brain could process what how deeply I wished she would crinkle her nose, shake her head, then reject the ludicrous plan.

   Instead, she innocently asked: "Really?" as if the possibility of us asking her to tag along was the last thing her mind was expecting.

  "Yes, as a matter of fact Fili has been complaining about how he wants to spend more time with you." In the seconds that passed between his lie and her response, I had realized that we had been making our fun at her expense. She was oblivious of the thread of humor that had been dragging this conversation along, which made her appear as even more of a youthful innocent; the opposite of what a princess should be groomed towards.

   In attempt to make up for our discourtesy, I slipped another layer of deceit on top of sympathetic mix. "It's true. I had hoped we could possibly speak of the date of marriage set for us, considering it is a mere fourteen nights from now." I know not what had urged me to push the suggestion further, but I found an excitement to rise in place of exasperation while in that moment.

   Her fragile jawline tilted downwards as she gulped silently. "I fear I would be a nuisance or just simply get in the way. I've rarely been out and I believe accompanying you on this trip would only discourage any prospects of success." I could tell she genuinely felt as though she was a burden. "Plus, I'm not dressed for-"

   "That settles it," I said, turning back to Kili in the interruption of Teryn. "Shall we leave?"

   Kili's expression took a downfall, then he sighed, then he smiled. "Well, it was Thorin's idea after all, since he is King it is best to heed his instruction. So looks as though we will be waiting for your future wife to get her riding boots on."

Teryn's P.O.V

   I hadn't known the sheer strength one must posses in order to hoist a leg up into the stirrup and pull said one over the tree of the saddle or that riding directly on the back of a pony took such muscular strain when aiming for balance. 

   With every fall of the horses foot, I was sent one way or another in a hasty rebound that rattled every inch of my being, but I hadn't allowed it to phase me to a great extent. The feeling of freedom rested in my chest and it seemed there wasn't enough time in the day to allow my eyes to wander where they willed and take in the reality of the situation.

  "It's useless," Fili cursed and the prosecution of guards on ponies came to a halt, looking around at their surroundings. "There are no Kine here, scouts must have been off course."

   A sense of relief washed over me, knowing I wasn't expected to either dismount or increase the speed of travels. "So what now?" I said quietly to Kili, who was seated above his horse only feet from my side.

  As he answered, I examined the red welts on my palms that were a result of the roped reigns gliding around in my hands for a collection of hours. They burned and irritated the surrounding areas, creating a red and slightly yellow tint to accumulate before my eyes. "We will turn around and head back, keeping our gazes peeled for the damn beasts."

    Kili squinted against the harsh sunlight as he lifted a canteen of water to his mouth and gulped while I trained my eyes to the plains of tall grass waving in the small winds. It was beautiful; the way something invisible, such as a breeze, could alter the fabrics of a thick meadow and create such a golden symphony of tides.

   It was rather cold along the skin that wasn't sheltered by my cloak, raising little bumps as evidence of the chilly gusts, but it hadn't bothered me much. I was too content to worry of little falters such as these. Taking a deep breath with a shrug, I released any apprehension.

    "My lady," a guard wounded my peace and I looked down to him, his hand held up for me to take. "We will be stopping for a minor break,"

   I nodded and pushed aside the fabric of my mantle before standing upwards, with tremendous amounts of soreness, I may add, and swung one leg over the saddle. Stepping down, with the aid of the soldier, I allowed my body to slide off of the pony. My left foot found the ground, but it fell upon an uneven dune of rocks and landed with a sharp twist.

   <><><<>><><>

     You guys, I turn around for 2 seconds and this story is like 10 reads away from 500!!! What?!?!?!? THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

           Kay, so dedication goes to that amazing account up there ^ because, oh my gamgee, she is perfect. This girl is quite possibly one of my best friends now so you should go follow her... That sounded creepy. 

  Best comment / Best idea in comments get a dedication!!