Chapter 7: Announcement

I couldn't move. Mingyu had pushed me against a wall and I was left speechless and frozen in place. I stared into his dark brown eyes helplessly as he stared back into mine.
'Don't go...' He whispered softly into my ear which sent a chill down my spine. We were so dangerously close to each other I could feel his breath lingering on my face.

 I was completely frozen, like a helpless sheep but after a moment, he stepped back from the wall and hugged me tightly. His long arms wrapped around my back and his face was buried in my clothes. I hugged him back and without realising, tears trickled down my cheeks and caused me to hiccup. After all these years he was right beside me but I did not even know it. He was even with me during trainee days but we never recognised each other to be the missing childhood partner we had lost. I had mixed feelings in this moment which overwhelmed me because I had finally reunited with him again... my childhood partner Kim Mingyu. 

The next day I gathered everyone at the practice room and gave them a copy of the song I had written.
'Noona I can already tell this is going to be really good!' Dino exclaimed excitedly. They warmed up their voices and sight-sang the song to themselves.
'I like the chorus a lot! The rhythm also suits the song and lyrics well.' Jihoon exclaimed. I felt honoured to be praised by all of them, it was as if they were the ones judging my artwork. They got used to the song and I showed them the track I had made for them to sing along to. I had used all my energy to produce and write this song so as I saw the excited facial expressions of the members, I knew my hard work had paid off.
'______ this is so damn good. How could we ever write like you?' Seungcheol commended. I blushed and thanked them for their praises. But there was still something missing to the song — it was the title.
"We should call it 'Pretty YOU! Jeonghan shouted out loud, pointing at the music. 'See here you wrote, you are pretty!' Some members agreed while others weren't so sure.
'Maybe we should change it to Pretty U like our debut song!' Seungkwan suggested. The members agreed and personally, I firmly agreed too. 

As I ran through the song again that night, it struck me that although the song I composed was a youthful song, it felt like it wasn't the best. I screwed my head up thinking about it but I ended up coming out of the dorms for some fresh air. Wearing a large black hoodie and some navy blue shorts, I came to the entrance of the dorms and bought myself a can of warm coffee from the vending machine. I pulled the lid open and walked out slowly to admire the starry night sky.

Tonight the stars in the northern hemisphere were radiating brightly and they shined iridescently like scattered diamonds. I reached my hand out sky-ward, hoping to touch just one of them but of course I couldn't. Sipping my snug coffee, I recalled all the events that have happened since arriving in Korea. It was so amazing that I would reunite with the people that became my closest friends even after being separated by oceans and seas. It was like fate — thank the lords above for bringing me back here, on the very land where I grew up in. After a while I returned to my dorm room and began working on a new song. It felt as if 'Pretty U' wasn't good enough to become their performance track... sure it was a good song but it lacked in something that even I wasn't sure what it was.
'Enough thinking for today ______! Let's get you rested up for tomorrow!' I exclaimed out loud. I crept to bed tiredly and fell asleep very quickly. 

The next day while the boys were practising their parts in Pretty U, the manager suddenly came in during rehearsal. Hoshi knocked on my office, telling me to come to the practice room. What happened that was so urgent? I thought. When I arrived, the boys all looked so ecstatic and all had glimmers in their eyes. The manager turned towards me and gave a polite bow. I quickly bowed back and asked what was the matter. The manager replied, 'It turns out that the sales from our last extended play have exceeded our expectations by 3x the amount!' Hearing that, I felt content and super excited inside even though I had nothing to do with it.
'Wow that's so great to hear! Good job you guys, you never let the fans down!' I exclaimed chirpily. They were all so happy and excited, yet I didn't want to ruin the moment by saying it had nothing to do with me. Well I guess now that I'm their writer, I'm in charge of them to some degree? Either way, I smiled merrily and joyfully because it was good news.