Back to Reality

I felt like I got stares returning back to school the following week.
Everywhere I turned, every hallway I walked I at least felt a group of eyes stare me down, hearing whispers as I passed by. Yes. I was the girl taken by Jerome who was tied up to a box during his villainous act. Were people just waiting for Monday to come so they could babble and gossip about what happened Saturday ?!  How Immature. Deep down inside it bothered me that people automatically assumed things before getting their facts from a verified source. I was fine about people talking about it, but became irritated when I heard rumors.
"Hey (Y/N)" Bruce stopped by my locker as I placed my folders and books inside the cubby.
"Hey." I sighed
"What's wrong? You don't seem like your happy and cheery self?.."
I closed the locker, and headed towards class, holding my backpack straps within my grasp.

"(Y/N)? Did I do something wrong?-"
I immediately turned to Bruce,
"No of course not." I took a moment to collect my thoughts.
"I'm just-" my hands dragged themselves along my face, drooping my eyes.
"What-"
"I'm still a little shaken up from what happened Saturday, and it's not making it any better that people are constantly talking about it. I feel people mumbling about me under their breath as I walk past them... I feel like I did something wrong. They all look at me funny. All I'm trying to do is get rid of the memory from my head but I can't. I can't." My head shook from side to side.
"You didn't do anything wrong
(Y/N)" Bruce put his hand on my shoulder and continued,
"No one knew that would happen, none of those events are your fault you can't control that."
I spat out
"I could've escaped. I could've helped people. I could've warned someone about the magician- it's all my fault."
"(Y/N) listen to me. You can't blame yourself over something someone else did."
I looked to the side, embarrassed.
"(Y/N) I will not let anyone hurt you or do anything like this to you again. I won't let anyone mess with someone I care about. And I mean it." Bruce began gritting his teeth. "If that means having to sacrifice myself in order to save your life. I will." And with that he left.
I hurried up and caught up to him.
"Bruce I can't let you do that... you have a life to live. I can fight and defend myself just as good as you can."
He continued storming off to class and was now starting to treat me the way I treated him at my locker.
"Bruce!"
"I can't let the people I love the most in my life continue to be killed by these senseless and cruel people in Gotham. I just can't."
Bruce turned his head toward me.
"The night my parents died. I never thought I'd be able to go on with my life. My world came crashing down on me. I don't want to go through that same pain again and I don't want you going through that either."
The minute bell rang and Bruce walked into class. I followed him in, feeling the uttermost sympathy for him.
------------------------------
Bruce's POV
"Detective Gordon do you have a minute."
During my lunch period I decided to call (Y/N)'s uncle to discuss with him about how (y/n)'s been acting.

"I've got a few minutes to spare. What's going on Bruce? Everything okay?"

"Has (Y/N) been acting a little different?"

"She's been pretty reserved and kept to herself for most of the weekend. Why do you ask, Bruce?"

"She's been blaming herself for the whole event that occurred at the charity ball on Saturday. I've tried to tell her none of it is her fault, but I don't how to help her."

"Hm."
Detective Gordon's tone was full of curiosity.
"Well Bruce... its natural for someone who has experienced something like that to be traumatized and shocked from the things that happened to them. Maybe she's just trying to get through this her own way."
"Maybe...well-"
"-Oh sorry gotta run Bruce, they need me at the staff meeting. I'll also pick up (Y/N) afterschool today-Talk later Bruce."

The phone line became monotone.

I just want to be a good person.
That's all I want.