Girl Friday

Hi there my dears......Just wanted to run this by you and see if it's a good enough material to expand into a new fic. I've had the idea toying in my mind since yesterday and wrote a draft early this morning. Let me know if it would interest you. Light naman tayo for a change, medyo heavy na kasi the past fics eh.

Prologue

Prologue

Mr. Faulkerson Sr. was already in the coffee shop when Maine arrived. She was feeling a little paranoid but still curious, and that was what prompted her to meet him, despite Chanel's warning that the man might have malicious intentions for inviting her out. But Mr. Faulkerson has been nothing but a perfect gentleman to her, there was no reason for her to doubt his intentions. Yet.

"Nicomaine........hi." He stood up and gave her a slight nod, waiting for her to take the seat across him. "Have you eaten? Feel free to order, my treat."

"Thank you po."

Malicious intentions or not, she was hungry and her funds were just enough for next week's meals and commute. She ordered a double-decker burger, spaghetti and a chocolate milkshake, cringing inside at how needy she was. She still had classes till evening later, this heavy meal would tide her over till it was time for her to go home.

He just watched her eating with a slight smile on his face, just an innocent smile, not a malicious or lecherous leer. He sipped his coffee and checked his watch, prompting him to make a call.

"Hello.......how are you? Have you had dinner.................Good. Your meds.............ok. I've booked you on a flight already..................No problem. I'll pick you up at the airport, ok? Sleep well, son. Bye."

She was finished eating by the time he ended his call, yet he still did not give her any indication what this meeting is for.

"Nicomaine, hija......I need to ask you some questions, medyo personal I hope you don't mind. If you don't want to answer, just say so, ok?"

"Ok sir."

"Do you have a boyfriend?"

"Po?"

"Boyfriend, what do you young people call it.......jowa?"

She burst out laughing, not expecting him to know what the term meant.

"I'm sorry sir, natawa ako na alam niyo meaning ng jowa. No jowa sir."

"Suitors? And if meron, is there anyone you like among them?"

"No suitors rin sir, They've all given up on me."

"Huh? Bakit naman, pretty girl like you..........."

"Uh, sir teka lang......" She squirmed uneasily with what he said.

"Wait...before you jump to conclusions, I want you to know, malinis ang intentions ko sayo."

"Sir! Teka lang po, am I sending you wrong signals? Hindi naman po ako sexy manamit, hindi rin po ako nag-flirt ever with you. Maybe I should leave." She made a move to stand but his hand shot out to hold her wrist. She looked at him and his hand on her wrist, looking scared. He withdrew his hand and motioned for her to sit again.

"Wait! So-sorry.......Last question na.....and please, stay. There's a reason behind all this."

"O—okay po." She mentally berated herself for ordering. She might have to pay this meal herself to avoid his indecent proposal, or whatever it was he had in mind for her.

"Nicomaine.......I overheard you talking on the phone about a problem with your tuition. Have you solved the problem?"

"Sir.......this conversation is making me uneasy."

"Just answer, a simple yes or no will do."

"No sir. But I still don't see what this has to do with you po."

"Ok, I'll cut to the chase. I want you Nicomaine.......for my son."

"Po? What exactly do you mean?

"I've seen how you interact with the other people in the office. Masaya kang kasama. People enjoy your company. You're exactly what my son needs. I want you to help me with my son."

"I don't know how I can help po. I don't know your son. And from what I hear, he already has a girlfriend and he's not here."

"They broke up and he's taking it badly. Pinauuwi ko na siya dito, he will be arriving in two weeks. He'll be working with me in the office."

"Sir, I don't see how this will have anything to do with me."

"I want you to help him forget about this girl. Be a friend to him. Make him like you, I don't care. Basta gusto ko mag-snap out na siya sa depression niya. It's been six months and he still has not bounced back. Wala laging kausap and he's alone all the time in his pad, I'm worried he'll do something stupid. Loner kasi siya, his only best friend was the one who betrayed him, so he has no one to talk to."

"But sir.......buti kung pansinin niya ko. Besides, labas na ito sa responsibilities ko as your sec—"

"I'll pay you extra. I'll shoulder tuition for your remaining year, your allowance and other school expenses. I'll re-assign you to be his secretary para mas may chance kayo magkasama. If you have other financial obligations, let me know, sasagutin ko."

"Sir.....I don't know........pwede ko po ba pag-isipan muna? Parang medyo weird yung offer niyo, naiilang po ako."

"Sige.....pero I need an answer quickly. Will you call me tomorrow?"

"Si—sige po."

"Think about it Nicomaine, you'll finish your schooling on time. After you graduate, I can take you on as one of the associates in the company. If you pass the board exam, I can raise your salary further. So many opportunities will be made available to you if you will accept my offer. Tulungan mo lang ako sa anak ko because he's been through a lot. He just lost his mom a year ago then this thing with his girlfriend happened."

She closed her eyes, her head spinning. It was a tempting offer, and she was relieved that his intentions weren't as bad as she thought they would be. She wanted to graduate on time, find a job and help with her brother's schooling.

"Sir........sige po."

"Alis ka na?"

"Hindi po, I meant sige po, payag na ko."

"Talaga? Great.....great. Sige, heto na paunang payment mo." He whipped out his checkbook and started writing on it.

"Teka po......payment agad?"

"Yes......buy yourself some decent clothes. No offense hija, pero you need to wear more corporate attire from now on."

He tore off the check and handed it to her, smiling as she reluctantly took the payment. Her eyes got bigger with the amount on the check.

"Sir, parang ang laki naman po nito."

"No it's not, Nicomaine. You need to look good para mapansin ka ni RJ. Don't overdo it though, he likes girls who keep their looks simple."

A camera whirred somewhere as someone was taking a photo of the exchange. The photographer smiled maliciously as he surveyed his shots. 

Not bad, not bad at all.