Chapter 7

In Ha gripped her hair in sheer discontent as she sifted through the various documents that were lying in a heap on her already disorganized desk.

It had been a week since she had been discharged from the hospital and she still remembered the confusion and disbelief that had clouded her mind following Detective Park’s visit. Everything that had been told to her, the arrest of Baek Min Soo, his belief that someone was playing a much more sinister game and the fact that Namjoon was being targeted by this sociopath had been enough to drive her insane. Well, almost.

She hated that what really vexed her was the fact that she still hadn’t heard from the idol.

In Ha had returned to work, much to the chagrin of Sung Na who had strongly maintained that she needed more rest. But In Ha couldn’t bear to take a few weeks off, and all the work that had piled up in the interim was proof that her decision had been correct.

As she studied the various images, checking which ones would be most appropriate to print in the latest issue covering the ill-fated fan meet, a tall, thin woman with dark red hair sauntered in. In Ha averted her eyes from the brightness of her gaudy suit and braced herself for what she knew was coming.

“Oh darling! How glad am I to see you in one piece!” Joo Su Won’s shrill voice reverberated within the blue walls of In Ha’s cabin. Su Won flipped her hair over to the side and took a seat before her, crossing her toned legs.

In Ha inwardly cringed at the fake worry that shone on her heavily made up face and wondered why she had even bothered to express any kind of concern for her.

That In Ha and Su Won couldn’t stand each other was an open secret and one which never failed to amuse the rest of ILLUMINAI. The former’s precision and hard work was a complete contrast to the latter’s slacking off and In Ha’s countless suggestions to the head of the Fashion column had fallen on deaf ears.

Not to mention that Su Won absolutely despised In Ha’s authority.

“How happy I am that you care,” In Ha replied drily. Su Won ignored her sarcasm and scanned the room, its informal and comfortable interior a stark contrast to the uneasiness she inspired within In Ha.

Su Won smiled at the brunette haired woman and placed her palm over In Ha’s hand.

“Feel free to take off whenever you want to sweetie. God knows you need the break to sort out your, um, unstable tendencies,” she said, eyes roving over to the bandage that was visible beneath In Ha’s light coloured shirt, which ran over her back all the way up to her right shoulder.

In Ha gritted her teeth in frustration, struggling to keep her cool. So obviously this had been the talk of the entire office.

“Well, if that’s how you want to define the fact that I saved someone. And that the employees have something other than your eccentric proclivities to gossip about,” she replied with a sweet smile.

Su Won’s demeanor instantly transformed. She adored nothing more than the constant attention showered upon her due to her showiness and loved being the trending topic, for whatever reason. Now that it struck her that that privilege had been snatched from her, her face turned sour.

“A little slow on the uptake, are we?” In Ha grinned. Su Won merely huffed and rose, scurrying out of the room. 

Turning to her laptop, In Ha let out a long breath. She needed a break.
                               ***
“I’m just going to grab some coffee. Do you need anything?” In Ha asked Sung Na, poking her head into her friend’s office.