Chapter 5

All hell broke loose. The crowd was hysterical, with people trying to escape, trampling over each other in the process.

Namjoon was dimly aware of the disorder around him, his attention fixated on the woman who was bleeding out in his arms, the same woman he had run into at the counter. He saw a couple of guards dashing after the hooded assailant, who was now attempting to flee the scene.

"Hello?! We need an ambulance at the City Grounds immediately! There's a woman who requires urgent assistance!" he heard a gruff voice bark into a cell phone.

He looked up as arms reached out to lift an unconscious In Ha out of his grasp and recognized the man as the one who had helped her at the refreshment counter earlier. Ha Kyung.

"I'll take over from here. You guys should head inside in case our perpetrator has an accomplice lurking around the corner." The sub-editor of ILLUMINAI, as Namjoon now recognized him to be, had tried to sound funny but his voice was laced with concern and worry. Maybe even a hint of fear.

Namjoon barely registered Seokjin gripping his arm and holding him up, saying something about how they needed to leave. He barely noticed Taehyung patting a slender, attractive woman softly on the shoulder, who had run up with Ha Kyung and their videographer. He barely made out the blood on his hands, which had been stained during his endeavors to stall the bleeding.

All he could see was In Ha, now in Ha Kyung's firm grasp, struggling to breathe, her face deathly pale.

The approaching sirens grew louder and as the members were escorted off the stage and towards safety, Namjoon couldn't help but replay the last few minutes, not realizing the extent to which he and In Ha were now inevitably intertwined.
                                 ***

"So you're telling me, that someone simply blackmailed you into doing this?" Detective Park enquired of the woman seated opposite him in the interrogation room.

He had been ready to head out, hoping to catch a movie with his wife, with whom he had been unable to spend much time lately. One frantic phone call had dashed all his hopes of any reprieve as he had been dragged back into the station to question a young woman who had been apprehended trying to shoot at an idol group.

The woman in question looked scared, her irises darting about the room as if it would yield an escape route.

"I'm not lying!" she practically screamed at him, her strawberry-blonde hair fanning her frightened young face. "A couple of days ago, I found a parcel lying outside the apartment I share with a friend," she said in a calmer tone.

Detective Park nodded for her to go on. "It contained pictures of me lifting a few supplies from the department store I work at, with a note saying how these would be delivered to my boss if I didn't follow the instructions," she continued, tears pooling in her eyes. "If they really were sent to my boss, not only would I be fired but would also lose all credibility, and I really need the job." she finished with a sigh.

Detective Park found this incredibly hard to believe. Something wasn't adding up.

"So you have absolutely no idea who left this there? Nothing? No clues as to their identity?" he asked.

The woman, who had been identified as Baek Min Soo, shook her head. "I just did as I was told. I didn't realize it would all go so horribly wrong," she wailed. "I just wanted the pictures to go away. I never would've agreed if I knew it would turn out this way."

The detective took in her distraught state, astounded at how gullible and stupid this woman could be and it dawned on him that her desperation must have been off the charts if she had been willing to risk it all.