Epilogue

A girl stood by the shoreline, her long, unruly blonde hair flowing behind her. Happiness sparkled in her bright green eyes as she watched the waves lap at the sand, a gentle smile on her face as she took in the scent of seawater.

Breaking from her trance, she bends back down, picking up the basket full of fruit she had been sent out to get from her mother. She was always drawn to the ocean, even on days like this. 

Turning from the water, the sun glimmered off a gold coin that lay on a necklace, swaying back and forth as the girl ran back to the cottage she called home. The same gold coin she found all those years ago, before she knew her father, and before she knew the adventure she would go on soon after knowing him.

"Oh there you are, Layla." A sweet voice calls the girl and she smiles, coming closer to the house she'd lived in for so long. Layla looks up at her mother, who was holding up a bucket filled with clothes that had just finished hanging. 

Eight long years had passed ever since the war with the Aluverian Empire, and in those eight years, so much had happened. 

"Sorry I took so long Mom," Layla apologizes in a light tone, setting down the basket of fruit on the porch before standing up straight, putting her hands on her hips. "I got a little distracted." she admits and Isabella's lips curl into a smile and she chuckles.

"I can only imagine what distraction that was." she muses and Layla laughs.

The front door opened, and Harry appeared in the doorway, wanting to know what all the commotion was about. 

"Do you need any help, Dad?" Layla asks, taking a step forward and Harry scowls at her, making her pause.

"I'm in my late thirties, not my late sixties." he grumbles and Layla tries not to laugh as she sees her father scowl at her once more. Harry winces, leaning on his wooden cane as he came forward. 

He never did make a full recovery from the war. While his injury healed, it left him unable to walk without some sort of aid, which is why he carries the walking stick with him everywhere he goes. While it is a hindrance to him, Harry is thankful he left with his life.

"If you didn't scowl so much, you wouldn't look like such an old man." Isabella teases and Harry gives her a small glare, before an amused smile comes to his face.

"Well this old man still moves faster than you, grandma." he teases and Layla covers her mouth to keep herself from laughing as the two playfully bicker back and forth.

"Oh that's right!" Isabella says, stopping the playful banter and clapping her hands together. She smiles at the two of them and feels excitement rise in her stomach.

"Tomorrow everyone is gathering at the palace. Phillipa sent by a messenger earlier today and told us to come. They'll all be there." she says and Layla gasps in delight.

"Even Uncle Louis and Uncle Niall?!" she asks excitedly and Harry sighs, muttering under his breath how they technically weren't her 'uncles', but he knew arguing with her would do no good, because the brainy teenager would win either way.

"Even them." Isabella says and Harry smiles brightly, nodding his head.

"Well, that'll be a good reunion. It's been half a year or so since we've all gotten together." he says warmly and Isabella nods.

Everyone had been doing so well for themselves. Letters were written back and forth between the old friends, all of them keeping in touch, letting everyone know how they were doing. It was sad at times, not seeing them on a day to day basis, but they knew they were all well. And that was what mattered.